Finally... My very own build thread.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Loss4wrds

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I took the old truck to the Superlift ORV Park in Hot Springs on Sunday for a shake down run and to check out the park. First time there and I learned allot about the truck and the park.

I learned that dropping off a ledge when going down a steep grade is much diffrent than hopping over the ledge going up a steep grade. I dropped off a 16-20" ledge going down a steep grade and the truck tipped forward and the driver rear lifted over a foot off the ground as she went over the ledge. First time ever I thought I might roll the truck. Had the whole family in the truck with me too, I think that was what scared me more. Level 2 trail my ass. No way in hell any stock vehicle short of an Hummer or maybe a Rover could have made that run without major damage or rollover.

I learned that an hour or so of light rain changes EVERYTHING on the trails.

I learned that 30 PSI in the tires is way too much pressure to even try level 3 trail. Also leared they have free air onsite. (I didn't see that they had air onsite till after I had been riding for a while. I thought I may have to drive down to a gas station to air up after so I only went down to 30 plus I had the wife and kids with me and planned to stick to the 1 and 2 rated trails anyway. So I didn't figure I need to really air down.)

I learned that as much as I used to love riding the twisty moutain back roads on my motorcycle those same roads were a whole diffrent beast in the truck with the front anti-sway bar removed. Driving to the park was an adventure in its self.

I learned that with my tool box, loaded in the bed, a full tank of gas, and the truck trail ready I am sitting about 1-2" lower in the back than the front. And when I was really twisted up on the trails the tires rubbed hard on the inside of the fender well/bed support area. I think if I add a 1-2" block in the rear It will be just enough to keep this from happening. This is the first issue I have came accross with the 5.5" backspaced wheels.

I think all and all the truck did very well. The Eaton posi is no locker but did decent on most of the trails. Twice I was wishing for a locker but I might have killed the 10-bolt if it did have a locker in it and would have been wishing for a 14-bolt. Who knows.

Well as I said it was raining on us on the trails so I failed on getting any photos or video.

I am going to spend some time checking all the nuts and bolts on the lift this week to make sure nothing is loose. Truck was making allot of additional squeeks and rattles on the way home. Not sure if that is just normal for the new bushing and shocks now that they have some use on them or just squeeks from shaking things up at the park.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Truck looks good man, keep going wheeling you'll get better at it. You're lucky to have a nice park near you.

Loss4wrds

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks awesome man
Truck looks really nice man. I love the look of the wide ass tires. It just adds that mean look to it.

Thanks guys.

Truck looks good man, keep going wheeling you'll get better at it. You're lucky to have a nice park near you.

I have always done mostly mud and trail riding. All the rocks and Jeep sized trails at the ORV park was quite a diffrent experience.

Very nice build, came out really nice. Unless I missed it, what size are the tires?

375/65R16 they say 36x15.50 but I don't think they are a quite 36 inches tall more like 35

Loss4wrds

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been a while since I posted an update. Haven't done much but just drive the old truck day in and day out.

I have put about 30k miles on the truck since the lift, it has been running good and getting me to work every day.
Tires are holding up good, got a little more than half tread left. So I am pretty happy with the MTZ's so far.

I did have one of the MOOG upper ball joints go bad after only about 10k miles. Free replacement, and an easy swap but still a little agervating.
Haven't had any problems with the replacement.

I blew out a header gasket because I got lazy and didn't check the header bolts 2 oil changes in a row. Lesson learned...

Last year I bought a new heavy duty radiator and a set of the Flex-a-Lite FLX-280 e-fans with controler. Been really happy with that set-up so far.
Did blow a fuse one day when I was out in the middle of no where when it was 103 degrees outside and didn't have a spare and it totally sucked. But lesson learned and I won't get caught out like that again. Got 3 spares in the truck now.

Also threw a new set of good 6.5" components, 4x60w amp and a 10" sub I had lying around so I could hear my music over the tires and exhaust.
I didn't check clearance with the new components when I had it apart so after I got it all put back together I found out that I really needed spacer rings if I wanted to roll the windows all the way down. D'Oh!

Sparg93

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
really nice build, congrats on the work.

I may have missed it, but how far are you lifted in the front and rear? With full compression and lock-to-lock, are you rubbing the front?