Filthy intake manifold/valley/lifters...how to clean???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

woody44

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have the intake off I would just pressure wash it. I regularly take dirty parts to the neighborhood diy carwash to hose them off.

Blasphemy

Reaction score
When the wife isn't home, throw the parts in the dishwasher with comet, fast orange and Daw dish soap LOL. And the vac method should be fine as long as you're careful. Once you get everything back together, I highly recommend you do an engine flush with seafoam or equivalent like royal purple. But if you're in it that deep, it's super sludgy, and you don't need the truck right away, why not do a budget rebuild? It won't cost you that much. I did mine for around $330 and a couple long weekends

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Use lots of rtv and overlap it onto the gasket when you do the front and rear valley seals. I just found I have an oil leak in the rear and now I need to redo it again.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Likely the bottom of the oil pan is worse than the lifter valley. The hardest part is done, just pull the motor and get it clean.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
I got my engine and transmission spotless and observed whats going on. oil pan is not leaking. it possibly has a seep coming from the rear but its hard to tell because of the transmission being to close right there. I can clearly see the leak coming from the rear lifter valley. I have a 3" body lift which gives a lot more room for cleaning and viewing.

lol sry I just re read what you posted, I feel stupid.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
Hi. I need help. I'm in the process of replacing the intake gaskets, valve cover gaskets, spider and various other bits and pieces. I have the intake manifold and valve covers off...and the valley/block is full of black sludge as well as the manifold is full of carbon. What's the best way to clean this son of a gun? Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I just did mine a month ago, I used mineral spirits and a wire brush and an old tooth brush on the intake manifold and used some purple power on the valve covers and plastic upper intake, and then sprayed the crap out of all of it with a couple cans of brake/carb cleaner.

munly

Reaction score
Well I finish the job. The truck started up on the first crank. I let it idle, poured some ATF in the motor, let it idle some more and then changed the oil. All in all it went okay, my most involved fix yet. Did the intake manifold, valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, cap, rotor, PVC valve, thermostat, mpfi upgrade, belt, egr delete and other things that I can't recall right now. Hopefully my coolant level stays consistent, having to pull that intake again would suck. Now I just have to get the cam retard set and I'm good to go.
Up next, suspension rebuild. Thanks for the help.