Favorite Spark Plug Wires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

darren250r

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its time for new plug wires on my 98 vortec 350. I have Thorley Tri-Y's I'm putting on soon. Any recommendations? I saw Jegs 40224 for only $44 which is Jegs brand 8.5mm, any good? Seems pretty cheap. I also saw Taylor 91036 for $148 which is the full metal jacket set. Pretty expensive. Then there are plenty in between. I prefer non-flashy stuff, but want them to perform well, install easily and stand up to header heat. Not interested in the cut yourself kits. I prefer to hear stuff from people with actual experience with different wires as opposed to only what you've read.... Thanks!

EDIT: If I'm not mistaken, I believe the Vortecs require different wires than the TBI motors. Is that right?

Last edited:

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
for me, accel. I hate the parts store crap it burns easy. I usd mallory cut to fit ones and accel pre-mades, accel had a better, smoothier idle, on the same motor, same plugs, same dist. cap and rotor. Nothing changed just the wires. Only downside to the accel's was them being pre made, I hate how they are too long and have to wrap around or hide somewhere.

The mallory's I have now on dad's 84 the plug boot is laying, and I mean touching all the time, on the no. 1 tube of the header and it has never burnt or even melted which really surprised me.

I too am very curious about the summit or jegs house brand wires compared to others. Then of course I wonder if the less resistance per foot makes that much difference as well.

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I perfer MSD but any aftermarket performace plug wire is better than the oe replacements you can get anywhere

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
never thought of that one you may be right on the vortecs with different wires. The ones for tbi are just like the old hei and stuff. Not sure on vortec though I would think so.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Its time for new plug wires on my 98 vortec 350. I have Thorley Tri-Y's I'm putting on soon. Any recommendations? I saw Jegs 40224 for only $44 which is Jegs brand 8.5mm, any good? Seems pretty cheap. I also saw Taylor 91036 for $148 which is the full metal jacket set. Pretty expensive. Then there are plenty in between. I prefer non-flashy stuff, but want them to perform well, install easily and stand up to header heat. Not interested in the cut yourself kits. I prefer to hear stuff from people with actual experience with different wires as opposed to only what you've read.... Thanks!

EDIT: If I'm not mistaken, I believe the Vortecs require different wires than the TBI motors. Is that right?

Hello, I have used those Jeg's brand wires for the vortec, and they are great, they seem to me to be just as good as the msd wires I have, I will buy them again for new DD.

darren250r

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello, I have used those Jeg's brand wires for the vortec, and they are great, they seem to me to be just as good as the msd wires I have, I will buy them again for new DD.

Thanks very much for your input. I haven't had super good luck with MSD, so I tend to avoid them. Do you have headers? I'm a bit concerned about heat on the wires.

I guess recommendations on non-flashy wire separators/looms are welcome too. I wanted to stay with a factory look.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks very much for your input. I haven't had super good luck with MSD, so I tend to avoid them. Do you have headers? I'm a bit concerned about heat on the wires.

I guess recommendations on non-flashy wire separators/looms are welcome too. I wanted to stay with a factory look.

No problem, and no I have never run header's on anything I have owned, but if I did I would either run something like msd Pro sleeve for heat protection, or a set of Live Wires from DUI they come with the high heat wrap already on them, and for seperator's I either use the black aftermarket 8 mm seperator's like the Moroso ones, or I use tie wraps and make my own seperator's, they come out looking suprisingly good. I use 1 tie wrap around all 4 wires and then 1 between each wire around the first tie wrap. I also don't like the chrome/aluminum seperator's.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
I have always rand and always will run Taylor's, Dad has ran them for years and I have ran them on all my trucks and car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeraldinmendez