FastOrange: Stage 2 (Transmission)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
You could have picked up a 4L80 and used your TBI pcm to control it for all you're spending in that archaic ass TH400.........just saying. I could never stand to drive a vehicle on the highway without an overdrive gear.

Does not see highway.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
And im now on the search for a TH350 6" Tailshaft. It is a direct swap for the 4L60E, Driveshaft is same length, All i need to do is drill 4 holes for crossmember.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
The PCM may run a 4L80e, but it would need to be programmed to do so, plus the trucks were wired differently for different years. Any 4L80e isn't a drop in, in any other truck, even if it came with a 4L80e originally, then you add in going from a 60 to an 80 which will likely make it even more difficult. Then he'd have to buy the 4L80e instead of using a transmission he already has. Does the 60 and the 80 use the same mounts and driveshaft? You seem to assume they do. The Th400 isn't electronically controlled and has none of the stuff that normally gets tuned out........ the "infinite shift tuning" won't be needed. He could install a shift kit and be done with it.

The only complication I can think of would be if he needs a speed sensor....... I'm not sure what his truck uses. My 99 has a VSS in the transmission.

A TH400 isn't any more of a drop in than a 4L80 is. :read: Solution: Find some inebriated fool to will trade a Th400 for a 4L80.

And yes, ANY year 4L80 will work. It's not hard to re-pin a connector or swap out a force motor. :read:

And im now on the search for a TH350 6" Tailshaft. It is a direct swap for the 4L60E, Driveshaft is same length, All i need to do is drill 4 holes for crossmember.

:facepalm:

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^This Chris must be a die hard new age guy. computer controlled everything and OD.

Well, not this Chris, as in me I'll take th350 and carbs anyday. OD is worthless here.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
And yes, ANY year 4L80 will work. It's not hard to re-pin a connector or swap out a force motor. :read:

From what I've read about guys looking for replacement transmissions, certain years of transmissions don't drop into other year trucks very easily. I think it's the 96's and 97's that are the most problematic, but I don't recall specifics. A TH400 eliminates all of that, since it's not an electronic transmission.

Doesn't the 60 have two of something that the 80 only uses one (or vice versa)?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
^This Chris must be a die hard new age guy. computer controlled everything and OD.

Well, not this Chris, as in me I'll take th350 and carbs anyday. OD is worthless here.

I'd have a hard time going to a carb unless the EFI was already gone or non-operational. My experience with carbs doesn't go very deep. I like OD, too. I don't blame a guy for dumping the 4L60E, on a vehicle that's not a daily driver, Though. I'd forget about OD on a daily driver assuming the over all gear ratio worked for me, and whatever engine I was running.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
A TH400 isn't any more of a drop in than a 4L80 is. :read: Solution: Find some inebriated fool to will trade a Th400 for a 4L80.

:facepalm:

Dont care what you think, Its my truck, I dont give a **** about OD

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
lol I would agree.

yes my tbi gets better mileage then a carb setup, and runs good, so I leave it, but I'd rather have carb. Around here OD or highway gears suck and are worthless, it's always stop and go, slow up and turn, speed up, hills and steep inclines etc. I like a tall gear and no od.

I would run OD though with tall gears, like 4.56's or better, but 4.11's or something, no not unless it's a car or lowered truck with short tires.