FastOrange: Stage 2 (Transmission)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
You could have picked up a 4L80 and used your TBI pcm to control it for all you're spending in that archaic ass TH400.........just saying. I could never stand to drive a vehicle on the highway without an overdrive gear.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
You could have picked up a 4L80 and used your TBI pcm to control it for all you're spending in that archaic ass TH400.........just saying. I could never stand to drive a vehicle on the highway without an overdrive gear.

My 69 Buick is fine on the highway with a TH400........ of course it has 2.x:1 gears.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Which he doesn't. **** turning 3100rpm at 70mph.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Which he doesn't. **** turning 3100rpm at 70mph.

Do we know it's going to see much highway? He said it's not a daily driver. The TH400 is certainly an easier and cheaper swap, and it's a good transmission.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Easier and cheaper how? He already has a PCM capable of running a 4L80, he's going to have to make crossmember and driveshaft modifications regardless, and he'll have infinite shift tuning ability with a 4L80 with practically no effort.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
he already has a 4l60 and has all that crap to control it and make it work.

IMO he wants rid of the OD and wants a strong trans. I always heard a 400 is stronger then a 350 or others but I alays just used th350's.

His other reason is he already has the th400 and it's free basically so why not? can't get much easier then already having it and it being free.

easier to put in, yea probably other options, better options for him to use in a trans, yep probably some of them too.

I just remember him saying he had the 400 so that makes it easy for him to use. The exact same reason why I have a th350 in my 88 k1500, the 700r4 that came in it had a leak(yes I could have fixed) but my uncle said it didn't shift right for him, never wanted to come out of first(It worked fine for me) but the th350 was completely rebuilt with everything new in it, including the TC and it was basically free for me to use.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Easier and cheaper how? He already has a PCM capable of running a 4L80, he's going to have to make crossmember and driveshaft modifications regardless, and he'll have infinite shift tuning ability with a 4L80 with practically no effort.

The PCM may run a 4L80e, but it would need to be programmed to do so, plus the trucks were wired differently for different years. Any 4L80e isn't a drop in, in any other truck, even if it came with a 4L80e originally, then you add in going from a 60 to an 80 which will likely make it even more difficult. Then he'd have to buy the 4L80e instead of using a transmission he already has. Does the 60 and the 80 use the same mounts and driveshaft? You seem to assume they do. The Th400 isn't electronically controlled and has none of the stuff that normally gets tuned out........ the "infinite shift tuning" won't be needed. He could install a shift kit and be done with it.

The only complication I can think of would be if he needs a speed sensor....... I'm not sure what his truck uses. My 99 has a VSS in the transmission.

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just found a rebuild kit on monster transmission that for $800 will make your 4L60 handle up to 500 horses. Of course its a DIY thing. That kit plus a new torque converter, and a 4L60 shop manual, less than $1200. That the way Im going.