Fake a muffler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nuke

I go by the name Matt
Reaction score
I got this crazy idea today. Take a glass-pack muffler and slide it onto the exhaust pipe all the way so there is no muffler touching the exhaust gases. It would give you the performance and sound of a straight pipe with the appearance of a muffled system.
To do this, just get a muffler that has its smallest diameter able to slide over the pipe. Then have pipe couplings to make it seem like you thought a larger muffler would increase flow. Then at the end, have a tip on the muffler. Then if need be, just slide the muffler back some for a muffled system.
The only downfall to this would be if you got a sound check done if you got pulled over. For inspection/emission, just slide it back.

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
People have done that mainly with cats though. Why not just buy a strait through race type muffler instead?

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah man much easier just to put dynomax race bullets on there if you have to have a muffler to pass inspection in PA. i think its only a 2-4 db reduction from straight pipes. Or just get two little glasspacks and bust them.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd rather have a muffler then straight pipes unless it's a big pipe, the small ones sound bad IMo but heard a dodge with 3 inch straights and was nice and deep and loud like cherry bomb extremes or flowmasters.

Yea I had considered doing it with the cats so they won't have an effect on the sound of the exhaust.

eck95z71

Hightech Redneck
Reaction score
We used to bake purple hornies in the oven for a while then drop em when I was in high school. Same concept of straight pipe but not as much hassle from the cops.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea my old man used to do the same except he'd stick it in a block and dump gas in em then light it, NOT advised to ever try though.

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've always heard of people getting the engine up to operating temp and going to a car wash. Then spray glasspacks down with water while they are still hot.