Fail-Safe Failed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
I replaced the thermostat a few weeks after I purchased my truck May 2013. Along with the temp sending unit, due to strange gauge readings. I totally forgot I used a fail-safe. Until a few days ago, when my temp wouldn't go above 130-160ish. And was scratching my head why this could happen. Then it dawned on me.
This was before I did any research and realized how failure prone these are. But based on my research nearly four years is pretty damn good for these.
I have read these can be reset. I forget, is the t-stat housing an o-ring or gasket?
If it's a gasket, I'll just get a stock t-stay to replace it. If it's an o-ring. I have some extra antifreeze to reset it a few times before I get ready irritated.

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For the $7 or whatever, why not just replace it? I have a failsafe new in the box I would give you if you lived near me.

edit: But yeah, it's a rubber grommet.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Ehhh, earlier years have a paper gasket. Experiences may vary but it was around 1994 they went to the o-ring. Also remember by now many TBI trucks are old enough that engines have been swapped out, intakes have been swapped out due to damage from thermostat housing stud breaking off/drill-out damage, etc.

Richard

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
For the $7 or whatever, why not just replace it? I have a failsafe new in the box I would give you if you lived near me.

edit: But yeah, it's a rubber grommet.

As @Big D stated. They are notorious for failing early.

@someotherguy drivetrain is original. Other things have been butchered. I know I have worked on a few with the o-ring. Just couldn't remember if it was mine. I'll report back and confirm either way.