Fab project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
So I'm sitting at the bar with the buddy who helped me do my lift, and he mentioned he wanted us to fab something up for my truck. Since I ordered bumpers, that was out of the question. We didn't really come up with any good ideas.

That is until tonight I was researching about Hi-Lift jacks. I was very surprised at how cheap they are, and I'm definitely going to get one. That got me to thinking about how I could use it on the side of the truck to change a tire etc, like you would use a normal jack on the frame rail. Our frame rails are definitely too far under the truck to use a high lift.

So, I thought to myself, how about some rock sliders with Hi-Lift jack points? Winner!

So, after the bumpers, winch, CB, paint match grill and all is done, we are going to tackle this. I am thinking 1/4" thick 2" square tubing for the structure, with special shaped notches on each side (two per side) just for a Hi-Lift.

We'd start by basically coming straight out from the bottom of the frame with 2" tubing until I can lay a long piece along those pieces that is nearly flush with the cab (when the doors are shut). Then, put braces angled to the upper part of the frame on each bracket. All welded straight to the frame.

What you guys think?

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
I like it! And I shall model this on solidworks for practice for my test on Wednesday!

illinoisboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
i like the idea... i have a highlift..... i just use the bumper. works well for me, but the first car i had used this type of jack and i'm used to using them.... most of you youngens don't know what those are.

canuckz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like a sweet idea. We have 4 hi lift jacks and for some reason my Dad bought another last week, guess he thinks all the tractors need one and an extra lol.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Im pretty sure that there is a thread with some different ideas in it. You might check that out to see what seems best to you. Also I believe there has to be some space in between the body and the sliders so that the body can flex. But thats just what i thought i read.
Here is one thread on this stuff. http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthr...o-has-made-a-set/page3&highlight=rock+sliders

Thanks for the link I'll check that out. As far as space I will leave some, probably 2-3 inches or so, enough for a foot when the door is open and enough for the cab to flex when it is off-road.

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You make a few concessions using a single tube for slider.

I'd use two, a single 2x3 or 2x4 .120 box for the body and a round tube for the step/jack point. You get good rocker panel protection, a good light point to lift from and a solid step that isn't recessed too deep.