Extremly confused, NEED HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gilmorec61

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first time posting here. Ive got a 1998 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 that I'm having a few issues with. First ill do a little background and technical information.

Engine was rebuilt about 9,000 miles ago. It was bored .030 over, its got a mild Comp cam, LT headers to an X-Pipe then to flowmasters, CAT & EGR Delete, beehive springs, pinned studs, bigger Intake and Exhaust Valves, and everything else in the motor, except for the rockers were brand spankin new when I rebuilt it. Transmission has a shift kit as well as bumped up transmission line pressures. Its got a tune by HPTuners on it, through Vengeance Racing down here in Atlanta. Motor runs like a boss, and pulls all the way up to the redline.

The issue I'm having is that I am burning/losing about a quart of oil, every 750-1000 miles. It seems to burn the most oil at idle. If im at a dead stop in Park or Neutral, and holding the RPM's around 1500, it doesn't smoke. When i let it idle, it smokes. When I cold start the motor, it doesn't smoke most times. If it does, its a very little amount. When I hot start the motor, it normally smokes pretty good. Not Always, but normally. When I floor the motor, and im getting on it, it doesn't smoke. It only seems to smoke at idle, and slightly at the initial acceleration from idle. Now normally, you would think its the rings, or the valve stem seals that could have been messed up or installed wrong when the engine was rebuilt.

BUT HERE IS THE CATCH.

When I built this motor, I originally put it in a 1998 GMC Sierra 2wd. I had the motor in that truck for probably 5-6000 miles. It ran great, and didn't burn nowhere near as much oil as it does now. (It would go through maybe half a quart in 3000 miles, pretty normal). I bought the truck I have now(1998 Chevrolet Silverado Z71), pulled the motors on both, and swapped them. When I swapped them, I didn't touch a single thing internally except the oil filter adapters (as the Chevy was a 4wd and the GM was a 2wd). As soon as I dropped my built motor into the Z71, it started burning oil like I described above.

So what is confusing me is why would the motor run good in the GMC, and not burn any oil, but then the second I put it in the Z71, it starts burning a lot of oil?

YES, when I swapped motors, I had the Z71 retuned for the built motor.

There is no way that a ring, or valve stem seal could just 'go bad' just through a motor swap... The only thing that I could think of is possibly a vacuum problem through the PCV or the Crankcase. I just don't know where to start with diagnosing this.

As I said the motor runs great, and pulls like a ****, it just burns oil.

Help would be greatly appreciated! Here are a few pictures of the Z71 as well.

You must be registered for see images attach

gilmorec61

Reaction score
Oops sorry guys, meant to post this in the Engine Performance + Maintenance section. Was looking at exhausts and forgot to go back to post this. Sorry!!

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No, swapping a motor in no way will cause a ring or stem to go bad. BUT stranger things have happened, it could be a weird coincidence that it just started smoking now. Have you did a compression test to see if there's a cylinder with lower psi then the rest? Granted the it'd be really bad to throw low numbers, but It wouldn't be a bad idea to give it a shot.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
How many miles have you put on it in the z71?

gilmorec61

Reaction score
No, swapping a motor in no way will cause a ring or stem to go bad. BUT stranger things have happened, it could be a weird coincidence that it just started smoking now. Have you did a compression test to see if there's a cylinder with lower psi then the rest? Granted the it'd be really bad to throw low numbers, but It wouldn't be a bad idea to give it a shot.

I have not done a compression test yet, but I will soon. I wouldn't think I would have any bad numbers.

And I've put maybe 1500 miles since its been in the Z71

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
its not entirely impossible that a seal or ring went when pulling it, i had it happen before where the engine titled far enough back to get it out that oil went passed the rings and screwed everything up. do a compression test on it like was said in hopes that its noit that and just a valve seal.

gilmorec61

Reaction score
its not entirely impossible that a seal or ring went when pulling it, i had it happen before where the engine titled far enough back to get it out that oil went passed the rings and screwed everything up. do a compression test on it like was said in hopes that its noit that and just a valve seal.

I just have no clue how it would be possible! I obviously drained the oil before I pulled it, so I don't know how oil could go past the rings and screw anything up. I'm going to be doing one soon. It just smokes so much oil, it seems like its all the cylinders are burning oil. Ill post a vid of it revving, and you can see how much oil it burns.

I will say that it is definently burning more oil now than it did when I first put the motor in the truck. It almost seems like it burns more oil since the tune but I cant be sure.

gilmorec61

Reaction score
Before doing anything major, with the truck at normal operating temps, pull the oil filler cap off while the truck is idling. If "smoke" is comin out then check your PCV valve. With the truck still idling remove it from the valve cover and sticking your thumb over the hole of the PCV itself. If it sticks to your thumb and you can hear the click of the valve itself moving (check 3 or 4 times for assurance) put it back on and check breather tube (passenger side) for kinks or restrictions. Also check the block the PCV hooks up to on the intake by taking off taking off the PCV and line itself. I can't recall the name of the "block" but I'll edit if I do. Check all vacuum lines for cracks or blockage. If no luck on that, pull valve covers and check that the drains aren't stopped up with anything. How much vacuum does the bigger cam pull at idle? Did the tune lower the idle while it's in gear or in park. I know it's not likely to but it doesn't hurt to ask. Could have changed up the idle air control valve maybe?

Checked everything as far as vacuum goes as you described. Everything was great, except there was a substantial amount of oil on the pcv, and on the other end where it plugs into the intake mani. Ill be pulling the vc's off tomorrow to check the drain holes, and valve stem seals, because that's what makes sense to me. Its not much more vacuum, not enough to cause problems. The truck idles around 8-900 rpms regardless if its in pn or d. Whats the idle are control valve?