Extremly confused, NEED HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Smoking on acceleration indicates rings.

Smoking on deceleration or idle indicates valve guides or seals.

FYI, OEM style valve seals are notorious for early failure.

If you're worried about vacuum pulling oil out of the crankcase through the pcv system just pull the pcv valve out of the rocker cover and see if it stops.

Given your stated rate of consumption, it is unlikely though......more consistent with bad seals or guides.

Another possibility that I have run into before is an intake gasket allowing oil to be drawn in from the lifter valley.

These are all possibilities with a recent rebuild.......

gilmorec61

Reaction score
Got to take a look at everything, and it turned out that 3 of my valve seals were torn for whatever reason. They were letting in massive amounts of oil, so much as one of the plugs didnt look like a plug anymore. It actually threw my tune off, so im going to have to get it tuned again. Went ahead and replaced all 16 of them (it was a b*tch), and adjusted the valves, and it fixed the oil burning issue. It seems to have a very very slight grayish smoke, but it doesnt smell like oil at all. It smells more like fuel and it burns your nose and eyes.

Also did a compression test and was somewhat dissapointed. 6 cylinders came to 120-130 psi, and two came to 95-100psi. I did a leak down test on the two that were low, and found out that the exhaust valve seats on both of them were leaking. Truck runs fine, so im going to leave it as it is for now, as im not tearing back into the motor right this second. It only has close to 10,000 miles on a brand spanking new motor!

Thanks for your guys help!

GMstrong

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
its a 350 run it till it blows,then throw another one in.300 bucks at any junkyard nowadays.

gilmorec61

Reaction score
So after replacing those valve stem seals I thought all was well....

Then I went on a 300 mile trip right after I got them replaced, and when I finally got to my destination it was burning oil just as bad. It burns almost exactly a quart of oil every 400 miles. For the first 50 or so miles after I replaced the valve stem seals, it didn't burn anything. This leads me to believe that the people who did my heads also messed up some of my valve stem guides. Does this make sense?

Will be tearing the top end down in the next week to get heads reworked by a different company. Also replacing distributor and getting new head bolts. Any reccomendations on a replacement distributor and head bolts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahuskwulf