Erratic Idle - Possible Symptoms & Fix (350 TBI)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Hey all,

Thought I'd share this with you guys since I don't think I've seen anyone mention this before, I've heard about the throttle shaft & gaskets being blown out but not this.. Also more fuel for the fire that says, "Diagnose, not replace."

Anyway, I've had an erratic idle problem with our '89 K1500 5 speed since it had the bad motor in it. New used motor went in and the problem still existed but wasn't as frequent. Truck would want to idle @600-650 RPM when warmed up but often while just sitting there already idling at 600-650 it would start to idle up to almost 1,500 rpm at times. I often noticed this coming off the freeway, I figured it had detected a "stall condition" and I read somewhere that stall condition to do with throttle position + low MAP values, which causes the truck to idle higher for about 10 minutes if the condition is no longer present. I'd get some aggravated with it at times I'd flip the key off and back on, which would usually cause it to want to idle normal again so I did figure that's what it was. I looked into the EGR, cleaned that all out, swapped MAP sensors & checked I had no leaks by using a vacuum pump on the MAP tube. Still did it. Then I busted out my MT2500 scanner brick. I did this before but never sat and watched it. Sure enough, some 10-15 minutes of watching the thing, just as I was about to wrap it all back up and presto. I saw IAC counts go from 6-20ish, the computer was indeed commanding a higher idle. Then I saw why, my TPS voltage went from 0.58-0.68 and then up to 0.75, all on it's own. It kept jumping around and as it did that, so would the idle. As Eric O would say, "There's your problem, lady!" I haven't swapped it out yet as I've got the earlier style TPS that is hard to find but I'm confident that is the problem. So, for anyone with a similar problem, try looking there first or as well.

Reaction score
Loosen the TPS sensor and turn it a bit. The movement is minute but makes a difference. Chased a problem for days and it came down to this. Motor On!!!

mountie

I sold my '88 C2500 to a happy guy in Germany
Reaction score
I just replaced all my TBI related components due to stalling, since an OBD1 code is vague .( ESC, ICM, etc)... ( finding out it was my 3 year old distributor gone bad).... But what the hell.... the parts were old anyway.
But... I can't find an adjustable TPS for my year/model. The parts places show a non-adjustable TPS ( no slotted bolt holes). What's up with that??

1988 C2500 5.7.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Mountie, you could drill out the holes a bit on the early sensors. Keep in mind that you're targeting anywhere from 0.475v to ~0.725v at idle. I like to see 0.6 or close to it. Also, make sure that at full throttle it reads 4.5v or better. Not sure what year GM moved away from the style my '89 has but they're all I know. I just see the other ones as "the smaller sensor". Old parts are unfortunately often better than new ones. Why I hoard things at junkyards because the aftermarket world is just crap. Stalling can be caused by a myriad of things, one being improper base idle, IAC, worn out throttle shaft, faulty TPS, leaks, ect. (My old TPS caused my truck to stall on cold days [<20F])

With what Robert said, my sensor was dying a slow death. On a good day it would register 0.58v at idle, but after awhile it would start to jump all over with no input/foot on the gas, highest I saw was 0.78v. The voltage shouldn't change unless the throttle is moving.. This is what caused my erratic idle. I sourced another one from a junkyard and threw it on. Haven't had the problem since and block learn fuel trims are even improving. Was also causing my truck to run richer than it needed to.

89 GMC C1500

Reaction score
I received a Code 44 on my 89 C1500. I have done all the checks for vacuum leaks, fuel pressure issues, etc. I have replaced the fuel pump and filter, the injectors, IAC, EGR and everything else I have been advised to do. The truck idles erratically, and almost completely stalls while driving down the road. I have to jam the gas pedal all the way to the floor to get it to go, but that only lasts a few seconds. The only thing I have not done is replace the O2 sensor. Code 44 says something about changing it, but so vague at the same time. Please help if you know of anything else to try.

ram1220

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When my 90 Sierra 5.7l ran like that I changed out the EGR as well as the O2 sensor and fuel filter. Changing your O2 would be the next step that I would do.