engine swap oil filter question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TagAllen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In my 95 4x4 k3500 5 speed I am taking out the 350 and putting in a 454. The 350 had the oil filter Horizontal probably for the drive shaft. The 454 is verticle. Will I have to adapt it some how or will it be ok verticle? If it makes any difference I have the oil cooler hoses that come off the block a little ways infront of the filter on the 454. The 454 I think is from a 93.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
The vertical filter SHOULD fit, but it will be insanely close to the driveshaft. I have a buddy that did this, and his just barely misses it. It touches the driveshaft as it comes off the last thread on the block. I would suggest a relocation kit. My buddy has not had any problems with his, but its too close for comfort for me...

1995sierraz71

Reaction score
I did a swap from a 305 with the horizontal filter to a 350 from a 2wd with a vertical. It fit, but I had to drop the front drive shaft to change it the first time. The rural king near me carried a fram filter (PH30 I believ) that is shorter and fits great. Idk if they make a shorter one for the 7.4 but its worth a try.

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
some big blocks came with the adaptor to tilt the filter and can fit the full size quart capacity filter, some thread straight up like the old school engines but came with the shorter filter, ac# pf454 if I remember correctly. my 97 has the filter sideways, my friend has a 00 and its straight up with the short filter, both 4x4.

TagAllen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will probably start by checking that filter number provided above. If that does no good I will probably go for a filter relocation.

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
all the major filter manufactures make different lengths of these filters. ive seen really short, like less than a half quart, up to 2 quart capacity. if you don't want to buy the adaptor to kick it sideways, just get a short enough filter to go straight up. any parts store should have a selection, ac# for a quart filter is 1218 I think, fram is ph13, just look through what they have and find a shorter one of the same diameter and mounting flange.

TagAllen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it is the same diameter and will screw on should it be good then?