Engine start problems(only in the morning)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I wake up its usually about 35degrees or cooler, it seems the warmer it is the better it starts. But in the morning I go outside, it cranks over just fine but as soon as I think it fires up I let off the key and it dies, sometimes the second time i try it just turns over, no starting, sometimes it fires up fine depending on temp it seems, then the third time if needed it will fire up fine. never takes more than 3 times, but in the morning it never starts the first time, after work it starts up first time everytime. after it starts it runs great. I recently changed fuel filter, plugs, plug wires, cap, rotor, pcv valve hoping that would help, Any suggestions? it hasnt left me stranded yet but it is still annoying. Thanks for the help!

Jeff

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
is the fuel pump priming when you turn the key to on, not starting it yet?

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
If you own a 400, and you can't hear the fuel pump, you've got problems. Haha

Really though, stop throwing money in new parts at the thing hoping it fixes the problem. It takes all of 10 minutes to hook the gauge up and check the fuel pressure to see what your problem actually is.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
Yeah, you can hear it. If in doubt, put your head next to the tank, and have someone turn the key to on, no start.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
It also might just be a fuel pump relay. You might not be getting the 2 second prime, but once you have oil pressure, the bypass kicks in and the pump runs.

Not sure where the relay is on a 95, but you will want to check to be sure it is triggering the pump.

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I was just reading how to check the relay and the pump pressure. I will let you guys know what I find out or if I have any questions. Thanks!

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
fuel pump relay is in the underhood fusebox

bowtie-till-i-die

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine was doing that in the mornings or on wet days. Condinsation was getting in distributor cap. Sprayed some wd40 in there and it was good to go