Engine revving high??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

92gmcsierra

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I got my intake manifold gasket replaced a while ago and after that my pickup (1994 K1500) started to randomly rev up high mostly at about 1600 and sometimes at 1900. This got worse as time went on. Went and got it looked at by the same place that did my gasket and they replaced my computer and something else (cannot remember what it was). But after that it stopped for a while and now it is getting worse as time goes on like the first time. Anybody know or have experienced anything like this before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
Vacuum leak somewhere? Check for a cracked vacuum hose.
Gasket between the TBI and intake is another good place to check.
Long shot, but possibly the temp sender is bad. It would give the wrong signal to the computer (engine still cold) causing high idle. Check engine light should go on for this one.
Idle air control valve
Leaking injector
It's been a while since I've worked on a TBI truck so others may have more info for you.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Check for vacuum leaks. I bet when they replaced the intake manifold, it didn't seal all of the way. I would also stop going to that shop. They're throwing money at new parts that aren't the problem.

92gmcsierra

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll check on those. It's just weird. It did it a lot yesterday and now today it is driving perfectly fine.

92gmcsierra

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The shop did the intake manifold gasket again and it is still randomly revving high. They don't know what's wrong. Anybody have anymore ideas on what it could be?

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would try replacing the throttle cable. It may be frayed on the inside of the sleeve causing it to randomly hang.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

92gmcsierra

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the shop couldn't fix it once again so I did the code test with a paper clip and end up getting the code 51. Looked it up and it says it's a "PROM error. (MEM-CAL)" What does this mean?

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
I think that's got to do with the computer they replaced. If you want something done right you have to fix it yourself. Shops don't care about your truck bat all they just want your money and get it out the door. Trust me.

92gmcsierra

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where can I get a new computer and is it very hard to replace that myself?

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
I didn't say that was it for sure, just sounds like it to me. I would check into it more. Do you have a chip? Don't just throw parts at it and hope for the best, that never works. If you do end up needing a computer, just get it from the junkyard almost all the trucks in the yard still have computers because they rarely have issues.