Engine Replacement soon also

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ActionJackson

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey there you guys my truck has been out of commission for a couple weeks now. I had a friend run it hot and now i either have a cracked head or block. I have took anything apart yet because i wanna be able to drive it on the trailer easily to whatever shop im taking it to. Im not doing just a head job if the head is the problem because ive been told that it would cause more bottom end wear with a truck with as many miles as mine. So we have narrowed it down to putting a crate engine and im not doing it myself because in order to get my warranty i have to be ASE certified. So i looked into the Jegs gm 350 vortec crate where i use my own intake. What do you guys think about this engine? or jegs in particular. EVERYBODY around here is recommending a jasper. What are your thoughts on that? How much does it cost to rebuild my motor if my block is good? is it just as much? should i do upgrades?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What is your price range, and are you wanting a new crate motor, or a rebuilt one.

ActionJackson

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was goiing to buy the new one from jegs for 1899 its on sale for 1799 right now. and my price range is about 3... with the jasper i would go a little over that. Im really afraid of buying a used motor off craigslist.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have had very good luck with Jeg's, and I would definitly buy new over used if I had the choice.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Probably a little, but I wouldn't expect too much from a new vortec crate motor. They're still 255 hp IIRC

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You still get the GM warranty if you install it yourself. It just starts at the purchase date instead of the installation date.

I would take a brand new GM motor over a reman anyday.....

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You still get the GM warranty if you install it yourself. It just starts at the purchase date instead of the installation date.

I would take a brand new GM motor over a reman anyday.....

Word, I have installed several from GM, they have all been good, I don't know how many of my friends have had their engines shipped to my house because it's a business address and I have a fork lift.

trailer-trash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Word, I have installed several from GM, they have all been good, I don't know how many of my friends have had their engines shipped to my house because it's a business address and I have a fork lift.

aaaaannnnndddd....if you install the GM engine...and something happens...you can drop it off at a dealership for warranty work. Happened with a good friend of mine. Bought a crate engine....installed it himself...a week later it developed a knock. Dropped it off at Luck Chevrolet here in Ashland, VA...a few days later drove it home with a fresh engine and no bill. I like that type of service.