engine rebuild questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
planning on getting a rebuilt engine this spring
truck is a 95 k1500 230,000 miles
my dad has a freind from the dragstrip who has a shop and some blocks from around 96
he might even have some vortec heads
says he can put a short block together for $600, then i need a cam, not sure if the stock intake and tbi from 95 will work with the vortec heads, or should i replace or just use my old heads
so i guess my question is what cam,possibly intake, and heads to go with
and how much of a pain is it to do headers later on
trying to keep rebuild around $1000, this is my work truck so really just want it dependable, possibly better milage
thanks for the help

Sierra

In pieces!
Reaction score
The stock intake manifold from a tbi engine will not work with vortec heads. You will need to get a gm vortec to tbi intake or use and vortec to carburetor intake and add an adapter for the TBI.

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if Im going for milage tho, should i even bother with the heads, or just upgrade the headers and exhaust
i see summit has some headers that bolt to the factory exuast, which would be nice if i didnt have to do the whole system right away, its not rusted out or in bad shape, but it does still have the y pipe
or would those not be good if i wanted to do the whole thing later on
and looks like some say they have o2 sensor bung, and some dont say

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you go with Vortec heads you'll need to tune the computer for it to run right. For reliability/mileage you're best off with the stock heads & cam. If you use a roller block a roller cam will be worth some more power...but again you'll need to tune it.

1LEG

Reaction score
For 1000 your not going to get much. I would find a roller cam block, have your friend build that then use some 89-92 TPI heads and roller cam, should find them cheap on CL. Then use you stock intake or Edlebrock tbi. Then find someone to burn you a chip. This will get you some dependable power for around 1000-1500 if you can find the parts cheap enough.

This is by no means the best package for big power but could be built cheap and would be dependable and make a few more ponies then a stock tbi. If you can find someone to port the heads cheap and purchase a LT1 cam you would make even more power for few bucks more.

Then save up and take it to a shop that can do custom exhaust and have a complete system installed with magnaflow muffler.

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
are the 96 and up engines roller?
thats what i asked him if he had, but he may have a few other blocks around
i dont need alot of power, i would be ok with current engine, except on the highway when i hit hills it slows down

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, a 96 should be a Vortec '880 block with a roller cam. The stock cam in an L31 would be a decent match for your purposes. There are a couple little things to tweak to make it work IIRC though....timing cover, water pump I think, etc.

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
wanted to change water pump anyway while it was out
would everything else be just finding parts to set up as an l31 engine, until i get to heads, intake and tbi

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you use your stock TBI heads and intake you shouldn't need a tune with an L31 shortblock...and you can squeeze out a few HP more. It's not gonna be much though. I think your biggest increase will be gaining back the power a fresh engine has vs one with that kind of mileage.

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im not oppessed to a tune, i just may not be able to do it right away, not sure if thats a major problem or not