engine cranks, won't start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

meir

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm gonna ask a odd question, did you recoonect the wire and see if it started? Just my typical thought train running " I unplugged that wire and it won't start, maybe it will start when I plug it back" troubleshooting method.
Yes. Wire is reconnected.

meir

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would check the oil pressure sending unit first. Unplug it and jump the two wires and see if that turns the pump on.
Yes. I will start with that.
It’s easy and also the plug is a bit corroded.

Thanks to all of you guys.
Going to start working on the truck, and will update you later.

joep88cheyenne

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay you mentioned taking off but not putting it back. I always have to remember to check things like that and I have someone I deal with that I have to remind also.

Hope you get it figured out.

meir

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok. So I have some good news, and some bad news.
The good news, the engine is running.
The bad news, I still don’t know what the problem was.
First thing I did, is disconnect the fuel oil pressure, and jumper the two pins. As soon as I did that, I could hear a click from the injectors, and the fuel pump running. Jumped inside the truck, and it fired right up.
Grate! I thought. I have a bad sensor.
Turned the engine off, and disconnect the sensor. Gave it another try, and it started. So the oil pressure has nothing to do with it. While the engine is running I hooked up my timing light, and adjusted the timing so that the engine will work “round”. Turned the ignition off. Disconnected the tan/Black wire, set advance to zero. All good.
Turn the engine of, connected the wire, connected the oil pressure switch, and cracked it again.
No go. The engine won’t start again.
Now, no matter what I do, it won’t start.
Repeated the first step (jumpering the sensor) still no go.
Noticed that the wires going to the temp sensor are “ghetto rigged” so I spent some time cleaning it up and soldering the wires. Tried starting again, now it starts.
Let the engine worm to temp, stated. Let it cool, started.
I was thinking maybe in either cold or hot I have an issue.
That’s not the case.
As of now, the engine starts normally with every try.
I’m starting to think maybe disconnecting the tan/Black wire is “confusing” the ecu, and I just need to wait.
I need to go now but will try to replicate it later.
I need to get to the button of it, so I don’t get stuck in the middle of the road.
BTW, while the engine is running I wiggled every possible connector in the engine bay, with no affect.

Reaction score
Do a pin to pin continuity check of entire circuit b4 replacing ECM. ECM's hardly ever fail. Much more likely to have a bad splice, or dirty corroded connector in the circuit somewhere.

If you hook a meter up and don't see anything wrong, you need to move the harness around to find an intermittent open/short.

Flying Skunks

Reaction score
I am having the same issue , and its kicking my arse ..the truck shut off on my son while he was driving down the highway .is this the fuseable link ghat you talk of circled in the pic ?
You must be registered for see images attach

meir

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
just to update that i drove the truck 3 times already (including one long drive) with no issue.
still not sure what was the problem.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had a fuel pump relay play games with me once, I tapped on relay and it came on, replaced relay and It has never done it again. Just throwing things out there, not saying that is your problem .