Engine and Trans swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

travgmc

Reaction score
Hey guys, I got a 91 gm sierra with a 305 and an auto trans in really good shape but I have been looking for an extended cab for a while. I found a 95 for dirt cheap, it has a 4.3 and a 5 speed trans that is shot. so i am swapping my motor and trans into that truck. I never did this before going from manual to auto any suggestions would be appreciated.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok not sure on your gauges but for your computer and trans I guess for lockup only, maybe more, you need your computer and wiring harness for sure. the computer is for the injectors and harness for the lockup on the torque converter.

The rest is pretty simple, you can leave your clutch pedal setup in if you want, but you'd have to push in the cluitch to start it(neutral safety) or wire it together, or to the brake pedal and change it to auto pedals etc. different options there.

for a shifter you can do a universal floor shifter or sorts, or swap steering columns out.

driveshaft may be a problem though, the ext. cab has a longer one but if the auto trans is longer or shorter then the manual one, it's gonna be off and need the right shaft, I'd bet the spline count is different regardless, a trip to the junkyard should find you the right one, just find an ext. cab with an auto and bam you're set.

The auto is gonna need a cooler, or you are gonna need to swap radaitors from your truck into the ext. cab. I would anyways going from a 4.3 to a v8, make sure it stays good and cool. v6's are sometimes smaller rad. core or sizes.

Motor mounts for the v6 truck need changed to fit in a v8, not sure what exactly gets done there.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Holly make a universal TPS for carbs. You probably have a 700R, no VSS. So I guess the short is you can make it work without the computer very easily.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
true but correct me if I'm wrong he never mentioned carb setup, just wants to put his v8 and auto in a truck that was v6 and stick shift, both being tbi.

as for no VSS I'm not sure on that one now, because my 88 4x4 has electric speedo, and yes mine had 700r4 but mines in the t-case not sure on the auto 2wds how they were setup.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Engine mounts are a major PITA! Gotta seperate the ball joints, then remove the spring & shock to get to 'em. If it has the stock springs, you will need a spring compressor, or chain it up, so that it doesn't come flying apart on you. Lowered springs will not be under compression.
Or, you can drill a 2" hole in the frame, just behind the LCA, in order to get to the motor mount bolts inside the frame. Weld the hole up after the jobs done.
Either way, a PITA!

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
true but correct me if I'm wrong he never mentioned carb setup, just wants to put his v8 and auto in a truck that was v6 and stick shift, both being tbi.

as for no VSS I'm not sure on that one now, because my 88 4x4 has electric speedo, and yes mine had 700r4 but mines in the t-case not sure on the auto 2wds how they were setup.

Yeah I was a bit handicapped when I posted it, didn't even pay attention it was out of a 91. If he keeps TBI then just the mounts, everything else will transfer over.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Besides the other stuff mentioned, the wiring harness and ECM prom are different for the 95 manual to auto, and the 91 wiring harness and ECM will not fit the 95. You could reuse the 95 computer with a v-8 chip in it though. the automatic 95 harness would have provisions to control the fully electronic 4L60E, and you need to be able to control the lock up on your 700R4's torque convertor, your best bet may be to buy a stand alone lock up set up for a 700R4 I have used several of them with no problem's.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
why can't he make the harness and ecm fit? he could mount it elsewhere from the stock location, and wiring harness woul dmatch his motor and computer, plus match the trans. I don't know about gauges or anything else though.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah that's the problem, the 88-94 engine wiring and interior hook up's are a lot different from a 95. I am sure it could be done, but it's not going to be a straight forward swap.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fergbkf