ELM327 1997 Silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Where did both of y'all get your BAFX?

Missed this earlier, sorry. Mine came from Amazon but was fulfilled by BAFX Products. Wouldn't connect to either of my '97s or my dad's '06 3500.

I'll stop at my mechanic and let him verify my obd2 is fine

That's actually a great idea. If a professional scanner connects properly then you'll know for sure that the port in the truck isn't the issue. Good thinking!

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Well, I get to report back to this unresolved thread with not so good news. I did stop at O'reilly auto parts store and use their scanner and it could not connect to my truck so it seems I have a short or something. I guess I will have to buy the alldata library for my truck and start checking wires.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Not giving up on this thread, my transmission is going out and throwing a code and I still can't read them. I have good ground on pin 4 and 5 using a test light over to pin 16, wouldn't that make my pin 2 connection the bad one? I bought the ALLDataDIY for it and am reviewing it now.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Looks like #2 is the serial data line, connects to the power steering control module, electric brake control module, and the vcm. I guess I need to verify all these connections before I can proceed any further.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Not sure why image is not showing, it shows in edit dialog. Basically there are 9 wires that feed the scanner, I guess I'll have to check them all.

You must be registered for see images

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I unhooked the ecm and looked at the wires there, they all look good. Could this be the ecm? Can I just put another one in the truck from another 97 that I can read the codes from or do I have to reprogram it?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I seriously doubt this is a PCM issue. You can swap them out with no issues but if the donor PCM isn't an exact match for your drivetrain then things won't work properly.