ELM327 1997 Silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I've searched for a while now and can't find a solution. I have the BAFX elm 327 adapter and I can't connect to the ECM on my 1997 silverado. I can connect to my dads 1997 silverado, even set the cam retard after pulling his distributor, can watch all the live data and pull codes. It also works on my 2010 civic, my 2013 gmc terrain, just not the truck I bought it to work on. I have a replacement unit that works the same way, will not work on my pickup. I have not tried another scanner recently but I have pulled codes in the past with the really cheap ones. I have tried torque, dashcommand, and several others and none will connect to my truck. So, using this diagram, I have power at pin 16, is there anything else I can check tonight besides the ground?

http://pinoutguide.com/CarElectronics/gm_car_obd_ii_pinout.shtml

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's just the adapter being incompatible. Pretty sure I've mentioned this in another thread. These trucks can be really picky about which ELM327 adapters they'll connect to. I also had a BAFX that wouldn't work. Hell I have some cheap blue ones in the glove boxes that will work on my Suburban or truck respectively, but if I switch them around they won't work with the other trucks. The only adapter I've used that has connected flawlessly to every vehicle I've tried it with is a $100 PLX Kiwi.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Weird that it works on another identical truck though. I did read a bunch of your thread posts and they are helpful starting out.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Where did both of y'all get your BAFX? If you look at their website - https://bafxpro.com/products/obdreader - you can buy it direct for only $22 with free shipping in most cases.

Reason I mention it is there are bootlegs of this device out there and they're using the same parts as the cheaper readers, and may not support all the protocols, or not support them reliably.

I haven't tried my BAFX on an OBD2 GMT400 except for my '97 Suburban but it doesn't count as it was LS1-swapped, so no longer the original PCM. That truck is the whole reason I bought the thing though because my little blue transparent Mini-ELM327 devices would not read that truck, nor do they read my '06 Silverado SS's.

So anyway if you got 'em directly from BAFX I guess disregard all the above, though I would contact them as it SHOULD work for you.

Richard

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I got one from Amazon, the replacement is direct from BAFX. It works on dads 1997 silverado but not my 1997 silverado. I know my orange wire is hot constant and I did visually see one of the grounds is good, but other than that I have no way to verify my ODB2 wiring is good, I don't what pins on the ecm correlate to the plug.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
From LS1Tech:

You must be registered for see images attach

It should be noted that while they're both just marked ground in that diagram - pin 4 is chassis ground, pin 5 is signal ground. So I'd be sure pin 4's ground is good.

Richard

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Weird that it works on another identical truck though.

Maybe I didn't word my post well enough... I have two identical cheap ELM327 adapters, bought from the same seller at the same time. One of them will work with my '97 C1500 but not my '97 K1500 Suburban, and the other is the opposite. There's really no rhyme or reason to it. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. These PCMs are picky.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I guess I'll just send this one back and maybe buy the more expensive unit like you have. I would just buy a tech 2 or something but I have already purchased all the dashcommand stuff for the 1997 k1500.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I'll stop at my mechanic and let him verify my obd2 is fine, if it is that will be on order next. I should get my seats tomorrow back from being recovered in the leather so I should be on the road again this weekend. Thanks for the advice.