Electrical Problem-eng surges, tach needle freaks out, shift up light blinks randomly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
The problem with that is there is no number on my cap, I know how the cylinders are numbered already too. If you have a picture of the same style cap that I have with a number on it, could you show me which post its referring to?

You must be registered for see images

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get number one cylinder up on compression stroke. Put it on Top Dead Center. Pull your cap. Mark on the base of your distributor where the rotor is pointing. Replace cap and see which spot on the cap lines up with your mark. This is number 1. Be sure it is for sure on the compression stroke or it will be 180* out.

This is the only way to figure out which terminal on the cap the person that assembled the engine put as #1. Also are you sure you put the new dizzy back in the same exact spot? If not you may have to completely retime the engine....

Reaction score
This is the only way to figure out which terminal on the cap the person that assembled the engine put as #1. Also are you sure you put the new dizzy back in the same exact spot? If not you may have to completely retime the engine....

I originally did the TDC setting of cylinder one and put plug one where the rotor was pointing to(it was pointing towards the back of the car so I thought something was wrong). I went tooth by tooth with the distributor until it seated all the way. the rotation might be a little bit off but not 180 off or anything like that. I had one setup where it wanted to start, but i should have turned the distributor a lil in one direction to see if it was the fact I didnt have the mechanical advance in the right direction. Instead i decided to keep moving the wires and no I have to start over cuz i got the order all mixed up. The other problem is that I dont have any time to work on the damn thing so Im hoping that it happens soon.

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

There is nothing on that black and white picture that shows a reference, i.e. where the ports for the ignition control module are coming out of the distributor cap so i can figure out which way the cap is supposed to face. Thanks for trying though.

Reaction score
Alright got it all working. Still need to work on the low idle problem but I'm going to assume its due to the iac and egr valves beings dirty. The problem was the pickup coil in the distributor itself. It should be noted however that there is a definite connection between the distributor and the tach/shift up light. My TPS tested incorrect resistance which might have explained the running rich problem so I replaced that as well. As a result of running rich and with just overall crappy conditions, my plugs were fouled so I'm putting new ones in tonight. Then i gotta work on fixing all the leaks and . I found another truck for 500$ thats in way better condition and lower miles, but its auto, so I might do a conversion (prolly not) So this truck will most likely be sidelined unless i find a whole bunch of free . Thanks for all the help people!!!