Electrical draw with key off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another quick thing to try I's to unhook the alternator and observe the amp draw.

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just take off the cable on the back of the alternator and the connector for the hell of it.

A shorted diod in the alternator could be another source of a parasitic draw. (just an idea)

If your DRL's quit working and the battery problem started at the same time I'd make sure that relay isn't bad.

aarolar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I found the DRL relay it's the big one on the right and it clicks on and off as I work the parking brake pedal up and down so the DRL relay is good and so is the fuse now how come the DRL don't come on. I think this is the answer to my riddle.

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you depress the park brake pedal that turns off your daytime running lights and if you do that does your draw change at all? We're gonna fix this thing!

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That relay that caused the draw on the vehicle I fixed a while ago clicked aswell so let's not rule it out yet

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
DRL diode can go bad and I do believe it is powered with key off; haven't studied the circuit whatsoever but a friend that I trust had advised me to not swap the diode with the battery connected as you can damage the new diode. Anyway it's the heat-sinked device behind the dash roughly above the area of the driver's side of the transmission hump. Try disconnecting the battery, then disconnect the diode. Hook battery up and see what your results are.

If this doesn't affect anything...do you have a trailer brake controller? Try disconnecting it. I've seen them go bad and draw power when they shouldn't.

Richard

aarolar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
DRL diode can go bad and I do believe it is powered with key off; haven't studied the circuit whatsoever but a friend that I trust had advised me to not swap the diode with the battery connected as you can damage the new diode. Anyway it's the heat-sinked device behind the dash roughly above the area of the driver's side of the transmission hump. Try disconnecting the battery, then disconnect the diode. Hook battery up and see what your results are.

If this doesn't affect anything...do you have a trailer brake controller? Try disconnecting it. I've seen them go bad and draw power when they shouldn't.

Richard
Will do tomorrow and I do have a brake controller but I should have disconnected it when I pulled the aux fuse under the hood.

aarolar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Battery checked good on load tester didn't get to check the diode today got home late. I pulled that DRL relay and it didn't change the amp draw.

Reaction score
Ttry this. Disconnect negitive from battery. Put a test light between neg cable and neg post if light goes on u got a short somewhere .