Electric Bucket Seat Conversion Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DixieWASP

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I installed bucket seats and a console from a 1996 extended cab Silverado and now I need to adjust the power driver's seat to make the truck comfortable for me to drive. How do I get power to the electric motor to adjust the seat?

Can alligator clips and a wire be used to power the electric seat motor to allow for seat adjustments? What is the best way?

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I simply ran power and ground from the original connection points in the Convenience center. Not sure where the stock connections are on a '96, mine's '94. It's not important that you have a factory harness, only that you have wiring of adequate capacity. I used an old weatherpak 2-pin I had in a box of spare bits spliced on to both seat and wires.

DixieWASP

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I simply ran power and ground from the original connection points in the Convenience center. Not sure where the stock connections are on a '96, mine's '94. It's not important that you have a factory harness, only that you have wiring of adequate capacity. I used an old weatherpak 2-pin I had in a box of spare bits spliced on to both seat and wires.
What is the Convenience center and thanks for the information.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you’re just trying to move the seat so it’s comfortable to drive until you get or build a harness, I don’t see why alligator clips won’t work. It’s not recommended as a permanent solution though.

The convenience center I believe is the fuse box by your left foot on the drivers side. There’s at least one open spade terminal if I remember correctly. But I’m not sure if it’s constant 12v, ignition or accessory power.

I’m also pretty sure there’s a downloadable service manual here in the forum somewhere. It might have a diagram of that fuse box.

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the Convenience center and thanks for the information.
In a '94, the convenience center is a panel by the driver left foot on the firewall with relays and spade terminals to 'conveniently' attach power. If mine had power seats stock, the factory harness would have connected there.

DixieWASP

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you’re just trying to move the seat so it’s comfortable to drive until you get or build a harness, I don’t see why alligator clips won’t work. It’s not recommended as a permanent solution though.

The convenience center I believe is the fuse box by your left foot on the drivers side. There’s at least one open spade terminal if I remember correctly. But I’m not sure if it’s constant 12v, ignition or accessory power.

I’m also pretty sure there’s a downloadable service manual here in the forum somewhere. It might have a diagram of that fuse box.
Thanks for letting me know.