Egr tube hookup on shorty headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kbrown17022

Reaction score

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Those are TBI headers. Your truck has a Vortec engine so the EGR hookup is different. Not sure what you mean by "adapter," on my Vortec the factory tube screws right onto the pre installed bung.

Is your EGR disconnected right now? If so, have you had someone tune it out of the PCM? If not, you're increasing the probability of unwanted detonation and wear on the engine. Not good. Either get the proper headers to reconnect the EGR, or tune it out so the PCM isn't trying to use it.

Kbrown17022

Reaction score
Those are TBI headers. Your truck has a Vortec engine so the EGR hookup is different. Not sure what you mean by "adapter," on my Vortec the factory tube screws right onto the pre installed bung.

Is your EGR disconnected right now? If so, have you had someone tune it out of the PCM? If not, you're increasing the probability of unwanted detonation and wear on the engine. Not good. Either get the proper headers to reconnect the EGR, or tune it out so the PCM isn't trying to use it.
I was debating whether to tune it out or not. I researched this awhile back and I knew that they were tbi headers. But in my research I saw that some guy made a piece that went from the side of the header I have to hook up to my egr tube. It's basically a 90 degree elbow that converts from 18x1.25mm to whatever size thread the egr tube is.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good luck, I've never seen anything like that.

If I were you I'd either buy the correct headers and sell yours to recoup some of the cost, or have your PCM tuned and get rid of EGR entirely. You could get the correct headers for cheaper than a tune, but it will be more work obviously. Tune is $250ish, but literally 5 minutes of work to swap PCMs.