EGR Block Off Plate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
i doubt it helps at all, but to me its simplifying things, i personally dont care about my exhaust being pumped back into my intake to help my carbon foot print, if i cared enough about the egr system then id drive a prius, so to me deleting the egr system is just eliminating something from potentially going wrong

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
...and to me, simplifying things would be to leave well enough alone. If it ain't broke...

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
In my opinion, it really doesn't help. A functional EGR valve shuts off under WOT so it isn't "hurting" performance. Reports are varied on mileage, but more than half the comments I see on message boards say that it hurts. EGR delete was something we did in the 70's and 80's when smog controls were primitive and we were trying anything to free up a couple of horsepower. I'd say that making sure yours is clean and properly working would be the best thing you could do.

Of course, this is an opinion thing and everybody has one.

This is true. Even new vehicles without a stand alone egr have it built into the cam timing. It hurts most in areas where you just drive around town a lot and don't actually get the engine hot enough to burn the carbon off.

I deleted mine for the fact that I come from a huge diesel back ground and I wanted to clean up the engine bay.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
then if your egr valve goes out and your stuck with an engine code? thats like i deleted rear O2s, that way if they fail or my cats fail then i dont have to worry about them

Bought my 97 about a month ago. EGR code within a week. Took it off and cleaned it and all is well. Cost of a gasket.

Hey, to each his own. I was just responding to the benefits of doing it. If you are trying to clean up the engine bay, then that's a different thing.

Last edited:

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
Bought my 97 about a month ago. EGR code within a week. Took it off and cleaned it and all is well. Cost of a gasket.

Hey, to each his own. I was just responding to the benefits of doing it. If you are trying to clean up the engine bay, then that's a different thing.
i believe in the good ole simply days, all these sensors are so annoying, if you read around this forum and look at people needing help becasue there engine wont start, its very rare that its a mechanical failure 9 times out of ten its a sensor or something electronic, so i try to delete the little stucff that can cause problems

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
i doubt it helps at all, but to me its simplifying things, i personally dont care about my exhaust being pumped back into my intake to help my carbon foot print, if i cared enough about the egr system then id drive a prius, so to me deleting the egr system is just eliminating something from potentially going wrong

It does more than just reduce nox.....has to do with combustion temps, knock, timing and advance.

As mentioned, pulling egr valves came about when everything was carbureted. Back then the engine was "dumb" and basically just operated on valve timing, vacuum, springs and spinning weights.

FI is a different beast altogether.....

Last edited:

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
It does more than just reduce nox.....has to do with combustion temps, knock, timing and advance.

As mentioned, pulling egr valves came about when everything was carbureted. Back then the engine was "dumb" and basically just operated on valve timing, vacuum, springs and spinning weights.

FI is a different beast altogether.....

Yup. Used to pull the smog pump, the rails on the exhaust, the EGR, and about 10 yards of vacuum line. Back then, it really did clean up the engine bay. A stock v8 in the late 70s was bumping about 150 HP.

As for all these new fangled sensors and such, it sure is cool to be able to plug into the car and it tell you what is wrong with it in many cases.

rcman989

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Any problems with the vortec running rough after the EGR delete? I know it will throw a code, but will it still run fine.