Edelbrock Cam in 454..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
I came across the opportunity to purchase a cam and lifters for my 91 C3500 mark V 454

Edelbrock Performer BBC Cam 2162 (with hydraulic lifters) for the very low price of $40

im new to the big block game, I dont know what works and what
doesn't

im not looking for anything aggressive, just give this truck some movement above 3000-3500 rpm.

is this gonna bind the springs, any machine work needed? obviously a tune will be required, I will replace the distributor gear and timing chain as well.

can I just install this cam, break in and go?

here are the cam specs, the lobe separation seems wider then im use to seeing.

Summit Racing Part Number:EDL-2162

UPC:085347021628

Cam Style:Hydraulic flat tappet

Basic Operating RPM Range:Idle-5,500

Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift:218

Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift:228

Duration at 050 inch Lift:218 int./228 exh.

Advertised Intake Duration:292

Advertised Exhaust Duration:302

Advertised Duration:292 int./302 exh.

Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.500 in.

Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.500 in.

Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.500 int./0.500 exh.

Lobe Separation (degrees):114

Computer-Controlled Compatible:No

Lifters Included:Yes

Lifter Style:Hydraulic flat tappet

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
After further research, thats most likely a negative, per the 454ss. com site.

source:

The production Gen V gig-block V8 introduced in 1991 uses a non-adjustable "net lash" valvetrain. This valvetrain uses shouldered bolts instead of threaded studs and adjusting nuts to retain the rocker arms.

The Gen V "net lash" valvetrain presents a challenge to engine builders, however. If the camshaft profile is changed significantly for off-highway applications, the net lash rocker assembly must be replaced with Mark IV rocker studs; rocker arms, adjusting nuts, and push rod guide plates. This conversion will allow an engine builder to compensate for changes in the camshafts base circle diameter and to adjust valve lash with mechanical tappets.

The rocker stud bosses on Gen V cylinder heads are machined for 3/8-inch shouldered bolts. To convert to an adjustable valvetrain, the cylinder heads must be disassembled and the bosses drilled and tapped for conventional 7/16-inbch rocker studs.