ecm error??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KReePiN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah i sure did.....i actually left the battery disconnected for a few hours while i went to run some errands......i purchased a brand new ecm from napa and soon as i plugged it in i recieved code 32 ...42.....and 55.....even though i never startd the truck.the funny thing,my buddy has a gmt400......and he has the same exact issues as me....even after we reset his battery......the codes didnt clear...tried jumping his with paperclip method still doesnt get code 12.we both have the same 3 identical codes.....so i got to thinking maybe my scanner sucks....but its a brand new matco and it works fine on other cars ive used it on.so im completely stumped...its kinda weird me and my buddy have the same exact codes....even after we reset our trucks...its probably something simple but its buggin the crap out of me

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
What I do to get ready for smog.....fill up with 91,replace air filter,make sure timing is OEM and then take it out on the freeway for 5-10 miles(and of course no CEL).Seems to work for an old burb with 243,000+ miles on it.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Have you removed the egr?

Two of those codes are related to it....but it seems unlikely you would have removed it since you're in California.

The 42 is ignition bypass circuit error. If it's an active fault it should set a CEL. I can't remember if setting your timing will induce a code 42 history code since you essentially disable the EST to set base.....

KReePiN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
2k miles ago i put on brand new delphi egr and solenoid.......so thats all new.....and i dont have a cel on either.....havent since i fixed egr.....so im getting frustrated...everything on my motor is new

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
If you have no drivability issues, no CEL and your emissions testing doesn't hook up to the ALDL I wouldn't worry about it any further...some trucks just have anomalies. No one likes to hear that, but it happens. Chasing these anomalies often just lightens your wallet and not much else.

Maybe go over the associated wiring and make sure all your connections are clean and tight and the insulation isn't worn through or pinched anywhere. Grounding points are also a good place to check for ECM codes that don't make sense.

Electronic vehicles are very sensitive to any increased impedance/resistance on their ground paths...

KReePiN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah i hear yaaa.....guess im just gonna have to trace all the wiring....starting with grounds....sucks cause i like to keep my truck running perfectly....it bugs me when something isnt right.but oh well.....thanks for your input guys!!

DR CHOP

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah i sure did.....i actually left the battery disconnected for a few hours while i went to run some errands......i purchased a brand new ecm from napa and soon as i plugged it in i recieved code 32 ...42.....and 55.....even though i never startd the truck.the funny thing,my buddy has a gmt400......and he has the same exact issues as me....even after we reset his battery......the codes didnt clear...tried jumping his with paperclip method still doesnt get code 12.we both have the same 3 identical codes.....so i got to thinking maybe my scanner sucks....but its a brand new matco and it works fine on other cars ive used it on.so im completely stumped...its kinda weird me and my buddy have the same exact codes....even after we reset our trucks...its probably something simple but its buggin the crap out of me

You can try that scanner on my 93 to see if it throws the same codes, at least you'd know if your scanners whacked out. My truck has no codes stored.
Bring that truck by, after all the problems I used to have with my 93, I'm sure I must have learned something that could help you.

KReePiN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok sounds good.....i will try to meet up with you this week....are you open on saturdays?