Ebay Headers Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcoatswo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello, I just registered although I've been a long time "stalker" of this site.

I know I should probably be able to find the answer in the forums but I cant seem to. If anyone can post a link to answer my question or provide a quick answer I would appreciate it.

I ordered the eBay headers everyone talks about since my stock manifolds warped during my engine transplant, they are the shorty stainless steel cheapo eBay ones. I installed them last night, with a little elbow grease I got them connected and my truck back on the road. I have a leak on the driver side exhaust manifold at the header to Y pipe connection. Has anyone else had this problem? What is the solution?

Thank you,
-Joe

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey Joe I has the same problem with mine but was able to retighten everything and it went away. Make sure that both serfaces are clean and retorque everything.

SouthBoston

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Probably just loose, headers are great but make sure yo get everything tight tight tight or it will bug you to no end!

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
I would suggest getting new hardware to go from headers to y-pipe, as well as new hardware for securing headers to the engine, the ones I got seem pretty cheap-o and I have decided I won't be using them.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
did you remove the donut gasket?

if that's in the pipes it won't seal.

loosen all the bolts on both sides(collectors only) wiggle it around and try to eyeball them lined up nice and straight, then tighten the bolts, jump around though a few turns or maybe less on one bolt then jump to another to try and draw it down nice and even.

jcoatswo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

I finished the engine at about 12:30 pm on Wednesday night and I have to be at work at 5:30 am everyday, that's why I just drove it without checking where the leak was before asking. I just figured that's where it was coming from.

I had a minute to look at it last night, the y pipe connection is actually fine. The leak is between the header and the cylinder head on the driver side on the rear 3 cylinders. I know I tightened them the previous night, but I wanted to check them. When I put a wrench on a couple of the header bolts they were loose. I didn't receive lock washers for the 6 header bolts. The clearances are pretty tight, will lock washers fit? Would/has anyone put loctite on these bolts? If so what color loctite?

Thanks,
-Joe

jcoatswo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks all, I got some locking washers from a hardware store this weekend. When I put the header back on I am still having the same problem. Cylinders 3,5, and 7 will not seal! I even tried double gaskets on these cylinders. it seems there is more of a gap on the top side of the header than the bottom. All bolts are absolutely tight. Has anyone ever got a warped header right out of the box? This is bugging the out of me. If anyone has any input at all I would appreciate it.

-Joe