Dually Hauler from Dallas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

modernbeat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm collecting parts to upgrade the lights.
Right now the truck has the original Sylvania headlights, which have a moderate suntan, and a set of crystal style turn signals. Neither is horrible, but the headlights are dim and dirty and the turn signals aren't my style.
You must be registered for see images attach

I'm on the list for the Brazilian lights, but until then I'll stab in a set of ribbed original style TYC headlight and turn signal housings.

Something that's always bothered me about the stock lenses is that the turn signal looks like it's got too much mascara on. The black border around the turn signal looks right with the original quad lights, but it looks out of place with the composite lights.

So, I painted the border of my lights silver.

Original lights out of the box

Masked the lenses to the very edge of the black border, being sure that the paint would cover all of the black. And wiped them down with grease and wax remover. I used some bright silver paint with a fine metallic aspect. It's and OEM style wheel silver.

Sprayed it down, let it tack, and applied a second coat.

Waited until the paint dried and peeled off the masking. Though there is no black paint showing on the outside, the black can still be seen inside the glass and at some angles it reflects through the edge of the lens.

I'll update these when all the parts are in place to install all the lights at once.

modernbeat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
While I was in a painting mood, I painted some of the exterior plastics.
In my experience, exterior plastics will fade and either turn gray or get chalky. The OEM stuff hold up fair well, but the aftermarket stuff doesn't stay black for long.
A coat of paint helps the longevity and makes it look truly black.

I'm adding a front spoiler. I bought one for the existing tow hooks. And luckily, it's got cut marks on the back for the fog light holes. I plan on adding fogs, so that will make it easier.

The unpainted and already not-quite-black spoiler.

Wiped it down to remove any mold release and painted it with SEM Trim Black.

The final product. It actually got a second and third coat after this.

modernbeat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The tailgate handle on my truck is busted and the bezel looks old and faded.
I'm replacing both with the Brother's Truck / Holley parts.
The finish on the new handle looks good, and frankly, even the bezel looks good. But I'm going to future proof it with two coats of paint.

modernbeat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As part of the lighting upgrades I'll be adding an upgraded lighting harness. The original headlight wiring already on incorporate relays, but the old wiring is weathered, small gauge, and a little crispy. Adding thick gauge fresh wire and relays in a short harness could help them. And it give me the chance to add the four-high modification. I'll add a switch to make the four-high selectable. In addition to that, I'll add a set of long range spot lights that are tied into the high-beams, so they can be dipped off with the high-low stalk. I'll also add a pair of standalone fog lights.

Here's my wiring plan. All the parts have arrived and I'll be building this harness soon.

I've got female sockets that duplicate the 9005 and 9006 bulbs for the original headlight wiring to plug into. Two will be used to capture the headlight signals and two will be outfitted with seals to cleanly close up the other two headlight wires.

The two extra switches allow me to run with or without four-high, and with or without the spot lights when the high beams are on.

modernbeat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a set of Phillips +30% bulbs for the headlights.

The tail lights are the original GM housings, and they look a little faded and sandblasted. I'm going to try a headlight polishing, sealing and UV protection kit on them. I've got a new pack of 921 bulbs for the cargo and third brake lights. And a pack of 3157 LED bulbs for the reverse lights.

modernbeat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dug around in my stash and found a set of Cibie 95 spot lights that I bought at least 14 years ago. They are a nice period light. I'll mount them to the top of the bumper.

Yesterday I bought a NOS set of KC 775 fog lights. I've seen that these fit like the stock fog lights. But these are a variant that don't look like the stock lights. They have yellow bulbs and rock guards. I'll buy a set of original style fog light mounts for them and trim out the holes in the spoiler.

Both the Cibies and KCs may need to be reconfigured to mount correctly, as the KCs look like they were made to mount on top of the bumper and the Cibies are set up to mount under the bumper, but flipping the reflector, bulb holder and lens is easy.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I lucked into actual GM OEM replacements on my 97 van really reasonable on Ebay. At the time the same vendor had sets for our trucks and I ordered them for the 99 Tahoe. However on the van I had to use a tail light that resembles a later 3rd gen Ram. I am not totally unhappy though, they are super bright with LEDs. The design of the tails has actually grown on me.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Those turn signals look pretty good silver. I'd like to see them when they're back on the truck. I have the same lights, but I installed them straight out of the box.

I believe the Sylvanias are better built, and better designed than the Artebs, at least from the lenses back. You can polish and clear the Sylvanias to bring them back. I would especially recommend that if the adjusters aren't frozen.