Dually Hauler from Dallas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Got the 90 degree lug nuts in and had time to swap them out.

You must be registered for see images attach

The 90 degree lug nuts are slightly shorter due to the shallow angle of the cone.
This allows the OEM plastic hub cover nuts to pull in tighter, fixing a slight looseness that I had with the rear caps.

You can see how much tighter the 90 degree lug nuts sit.
60 degree on the left, 90 degree on the right

The clamp rings are designed for a 60 degree taper though, aren't they?

The only GMT400 truck I know that uses 90 degree lug nuts is the 15K GVWR 3500HD. They're also 5/8" instead of 14mm so I've never really compared the two side-by-side, though. It's not like I could put a 60 degree 14mm lug on my HD. :)

Richard

modernbeat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 60 degree lugs only met the torque plate at the inside edge, and the lug nuts were getting cut up by the plate. The old ones were really beat up, as they were also 60 degree nuts.

The 90 degree lugs had full contact with the taper on the torque plates. When I put a couple on and then spun them off they didn't have the damage on the nuts like the 60 degree nuts.

On Edit, both of those lug nuts are M14-1.5 thread.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The 60 degree lugs only met the torque plate at the inside edge, and the lug nuts were getting cut up by the plate. The old ones were really beat up, as they were also 60 degree nuts.

The 90 degree lugs had full contact with the taper on the torque plates. When I put a couple on and then spun them off they didn't have the damage on the nuts like the 60 degree nuts.

On Edit, both of those lug nuts are M14-1.5 thread.
Weird, but interesting. The factory supplies the common 60 degree lugs with these trucks originally, AFAIK. If 90's fit better then it sounds like a win!

Richard

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to all the places I've looked them up the srw trucks take the 60* an drw take the 90*. I would assume most people don't know that so they probably get 60* put on them quite often.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
According to all the places I've looked them up the srw trucks take the 60* an drw take the 90*. I would assume most people don't know that so they probably get 60* put on them quite often.

Everything I found shows that the DRW trucks were delivered with GM part numbers 88891744 or 9591798, which are the 90 degree nuts.

Y'all are absolutely correct and I'm glad I asked, because I had no idea. I thought the 3500HD was alone in that respect since they're also a different size entirely. I'll have to look at the lugs from my (8-lug) 3500 and compare them to some I have sitting around from other trucks (mostly SRW/lighter duty stuff.)

Richard

modernbeat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dinky stuff this time.
Added a pair of inner fenderwell splash guards. I bought a pair of GM OE splash guards, but skipped the extra front piece.
Turned out I had the ABS sensor wiring routed wrong, going over the upper arm. It would have rubbed against the splash guard. So I had to take the wiring out and reroute it before installing the guards.

Before:

After:

The OE guards and aftermarket fasteners I used: