Dual exhaust using stock pipes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
Soonish I will be installing dual exhaust on my 1995 Suburban. I was thinking for easy of installation I might be able to get 2 mandrel bent stock pipes and take one of them and reverse right after the axle hump, bascially cut the tail end of end and rotate that piece and weld it back together so that the exhaust exits of the driver side. This will all be bolting onto long tube headers and mufflers, with an h-pipe. Does this sound feasible, anyone tried it yet? I'm going to check tomorrow for anything that might be in the way on the drivers side, I might just shorten the pipe all together if needed and bring it out closer to the wheel, or even before the wheel.

Thoughts?

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Flowmaster, I think it was, or maybe it was flowtech, makes mandrel bent tail pipes that exit one on each side of the truck. Not usually that far off price wise from getting two custom mandrel bent tail pipes made. Can order them from most any parts store. They are in the back of the exhaust book....if your parts store remembers what parts books are that is... But for those that don't they should be on the computer listings these days to.......

Sent from what use to be a great country.

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
Magnaflow makes universal dual tailpipes as well. 100bucks on summit or jegs for the pair

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^. Nice that ain't a bad price either... Get the magnaflow part number and check the price on amazon.... Might be cheaper..might not but amazons usually a bit cheaper on most stuff.

Sent from what use to be a great country.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
Took a look and the passenger side is tight because thats the side the rubber brake lines use to attach to the axle. I 'redesigned' my exhaust and I will have it exiting just in front of the wheels. 2 simple 90 degree elbows will do it, and I like that look anyway.

I'm actually going to wait until next year and my truck will be emisions exempt so I can skip the cats. Long tube headers to 3 inch pipes with H-pipe, to 6" round Dynomax mufflers (center in/out) to 3" 90 degree elbows. Total cost, around $500. Not bad.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Well, you can build it as you like. It's your vehicle.

But let me explain why the factory did it the way they did:

The exhaust exists behind the rear wheel and out past the body to minimize the chance of exhaust gas making it back into the vehicle. You have a bit more leeway on pickup trucks since the cab is the only "passenger" compartment. One a sub, your passenger compartment is the whole of the vehicle.

Rear exits are not ideal becasue the exhaust will recirculate in the wake of the vehicle and enter if the seals are not top notch or if the door is slightly ajar.

In front of the tire is slightly better than the rear, but still not optimal. It needs to stick out more than most would feel is "aesthetically pleasing" to clear the door seals. It also will pile into the wheel well (IE: low pressure zone, Bernoulli principle) and recirculate. That's problem if the body sealer is not top notch or the body is rusted. It also sneaks it under the vehicle and gets it into the recirculating drag area behind the vehicle.

by exiting behind the tire and into the higher speed air on the side of the vehicle, they have minimized the possibility of exhaust gasses making it back into the vehicle.

I'm not saying don't do it the way you want. Just make sure you know what you are getting....

:)

k15 5.7l

Reaction score
I just did hedman long tubes to my 1996 k1500 5.7l, And i ordered an x pipe for it and couldnt find a way to get it to fit. it is because of the t-case and all being in the way, I tried to install it right under the transmission snout but couldnt get away with it due to it hitting the drivehaft. Maybe the H-pipe will be a little better with fitment but thats the issue i ran into. Right now i am just running a pipe off each header with no cats into flowmaster 40s. Sounds really good!!

Greg