Dual beam headlight harness now available at LMC!

Would you try it in your truck?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
Ok im not sure if the late 400s had it or not...but anything from the 800s on did for sure.

Basically you pull the multi function stalk back like you would to switch from low to high beam when the headlights are off. When you do this this flashes the High beam lights at full power for as long as you hold the stalk back. Basically its ment to get the attention of the driver you are about to pass. Thus called flash to pass

Some people also use it to warn drivers of a speed trap ahead so if you ever see a vehicle flashing its high beams when its on coming and it is not passing anything that could be the reason.

My dads old 92 f150 was that way, push for brights and pull and lo/high beam would both be on like running the 4hi mod on our trucks

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dads old 92 f150 was that way, push for brights and pull and lo/high beam would both be on like running the 4hi mod on our trucks

My '00 S10 would do the same thing. it was kinda neat I thought...

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its not ment to be held for a long period of time...just a quick flash then wait a sec for them to get the message then go.

Don't matter you are still flashing your high beams at them. No need to let them know. Most people get it when they see the turn signal and lights coming up on the left.

Sent from somewhere in MN

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
heh...personally i dont use mine unless its for the other purpose i mentioned which is flashing to warn other drivers of a speed trap behind me.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
"Flashing" to warn of speed traps ahead is also illegal, but with regional caveats.

Keep in mind here gents: there's illegal by the letter of the law and there's what an officer is actually going to bother enforcing.

Catch a guy at the wrong moment and he just might ticket you. They're not stupid, they know this stuff happens.

Flash to pass is for overtaking a vehicle, my comment about flashing brights is for oncoming vehicles.

"Flash to pass" is a relatively new thing in automotive years. Somewhere around the 70's it became popular in Europe and migrated over to NA. While there's no definite start point or place, it was common on unrestricted speed roads (IE: autbahn) to "flash" a slower moving vehicle when overtaking. The flash was not done up on the bumper of the slower vehicle but from a long distance back. Basically, "I'm overtaking at a high rate of speed move over". In this context, it makes sense for safety. A vehicle overtaking in excess of 100Mph is getting into the unstable range, the less maneuvering the better. The slower vehicle giving way only makes sense, and they did (do). That's not to say they use it without agression over there either though. There's all kinds of drivers on all kinds of the worlds roads...

In NA, flash to pass is not used for this purpose. It is used in the antithesis of defensive driving. Flash to pass is used right up on a vehicle when traveling 10-20 mph faster and very often in impatience. Basically, git the "F" out of my way. Wrong, wrong, wrong.......God forbid someone come upon someone doing the speed limit when they want to exceed it. This is aggressive driving and part of what causes accidents and road rage. Now, like everything in life, there's two sides to that coin: defensive driving would dictate the driver doing the speed limit and being overtaken by someone traveling above it just get out of the way and let them pass. That's not about what's legal, it's about staying safe and alive. I personally get out of some A-hole's "riding my bumper at the speed limit" way at the first opportunity. As soon as they pass my stress level drops and my life expectancy goes up. It's not up to me to enforce the law, only to follow it to the best of my ability. They will get what they have coming to them eventually as those types of drivers are habitual, IOW: they do it all the time so they will come to misfortune eventually. "Getting theirs" will either be a ticket, an accident of just finally "P-ing off" the wrong guy...

Now, if you want to further complicate the discussion, these laws change from state to state down south and flashing your headlights at oncoming vehicles has varying degrees of legality....Canada can be even more confusing as we have federal and provincial vehicle legislation, Sometimes it is even further restricted by municipal laws.

Bottom line is know the law where you live, keep your vehicle in a safe configuration for you and others around you and drive defensively.

Everyone will live longer....

Last edited:

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Two last questions:

1: on a 2+ lane interstate where you would be passing other vehicles at a high rate of speed, "flashing to pass" would technically be "blinding" oncoming traffic. The legality of this is???

2: I still do not understand why it is illegal to flash someone to remind them to put their dim lights on. :think: I am naturally supposed to accept 60 seconds of blinding light instead of reminding them with a brisk flash where we both have relieved eyes? Seems really stupid to me

Last edited:

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Two last questions:

1: on a 2+ lane interstate where you would be passing other vehicles at a high rate of speed, "flashing to pass" would technically be "blinding" oncoming traffic.

2: I still do not understand why it is illegal to flash someone to remind them to put their dim lights on. :think: I am naturally supposed to accept 60 seconds of blinding light instead of reminding them with a brisk flash where we both have relieved eyes? Seems really stupid to me

I flash people coming towards me if they have their brights on, especially if its on a 2 lane hwy. Whether its their ignorance or forgetfulness, I want to let them know. 99% of the time they turn them off.

I've never, in my life known anyone to get pulled over and/or ticketed for doing so.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2