Drunkcanuks build...... finally!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I feel your pain ! I live in winterpeg, one would think we would have a fair selection of parts for these... Nope, normally in Barrie or Calgary/Edmonton for us. Rock Auto has become a valued resource now. Just make a big order,worse thing to happen 3-4 days delivery.... I have the SS style mirrors on a CCLB Dually, god I hate them hehehehe
Hey there in the mosquito capital!!!!
I'm north of Edmonton. All the "cool" parts I got from super-bee, south of Edmonton. About 2hrs. Was a nice drive. All the others from Bumper, NAPA couldn't get their crap together for me to give them money. Some frustration trying to get stuff, but it's to be expected.
I ordered a fuel pump from Rock years ago..came from California. Made it to Calgary, then went to Winnipeg, then back to Edmonton. That was odd. Lol
But I do try and buy local as much as possible. I'm a small town kind of guy.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
More a life update than project one I guess, but the are intertwined.
Got a job, started last week, lower pay than I'm used to and only 40hrs a week. Worked three days then got a call about a real job with real money and overtime built in. So did a wizz quizz this week and then quit the crap one today as soon as I got to site.

Would have stuck it out for the day but I was introduced to the asshat of asshats yesterday, he was definitely not happy I came to his job(they go different sites all the time depending on manpower needs) started off telling the foreman I was only there to help, they had it all planned out and didn't need my input on anything. This is within a minute of meeting this clown!!
Started doing what I was shown, a bit later the truck with some material showed up, I went over to offer my assistance in unloading it and Mr Hat says "I told you I didn't need your help".... wow!
So I go to my truck, as it's now coffee break, light a smoke and am now vibrating!!! Fire off a nasty text to woman just venting, I'm almost ready to leave when she says don't, you only have another day anyway and we can use the money.... fair enough.
So I have break, watching him struggle to unload the truck in my mirror. Then he's done, gets in his truck and left. Whew! Talk to the other guy and he says he's always like that when a "real carpenter" comes to his jobs. I'm a real carpenter!!! Lol
Anyway, I finished out the day.
Today I'm getting ready for the day, and he shows up. As I'm tying up my boots he says "guess I'll go see what you f'd up yesterday and fix it huh".
Took my boots off, Carhartt's off, handed nice guy keys and tools and drove home . Now I'm going for a nap!!! Lol
Maybe this weekend I'll tackle something on the truck.
Thanks for letting me rant!!! Lol

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a job, started last week, lower pay than I'm used to and only 40hrs a week. Worked three days then got a call about a real job with real money and overtime built in. So did a wizz quizz this week and then quit the crap one today as soon as I got to site.

Would have stuck it out for the day but I was introduced to the asshat of asshats yesterday, he was definitely not happy I came to his job(they go different sites all the time depending on manpower needs) started off telling the foreman I was only there to help, they had it all planned out and didn't need my input on anything. This is within a minute of meeting this clown!!
Started doing what I was shown, a bit later the truck with some material showed up, I went over to offer my assistance in unloading it and Mr Hat says "I told you I didn't need your help".... wow!
So I go to my truck, as it's now coffee break, light a smoke and am now vibrating!!! Fire off a nasty text to woman just venting, I'm almost ready to leave when she says don't, you only have another day anyway and we can use the money.... fair enough.
So I have break, watching him struggle to unload the truck in my mirror. Then he's done, gets in his truck and left. Whew! Talk to the other guy and he says he's always like that when a "real carpenter" comes to his jobs. I'm a real carpenter!!! Lol
Today I'm getting ready for the day, and he shows up. As I'm tying up my boots he says "guess I'll go see what you f'd up yesterday and fix it huh".
Took my boots off, Carhartt's off, handed nice guy keys and tools and drove home . Now I'm going for a nap!!! Lol
In that situation, when I was young, I would have said or done something I’d later regret. Anymore I hold my tongue, marvel at what a ****** life a guy like that must have, and figure out a way to avoid him. Good to hear that you kept your cool, vented to your wife - a much better choice than telling the guy what you thought of him, and left with your self-respect intact.

Congrats on the new job!

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In that situation, when I was young, I would have said or done something I’d later regret. Anymore I hold my tongue, marvel at what a ****** life a guy like that must have, and figure out a way to avoid him. Good to hear that you kept your cool, vented to your wife - a much better choice than telling the guy what you thought of him, and left with your self-respect intact.

Congrats on the new job!
Ya....I'm closer to 50 than 40....if this would have been about 10yrs ago, would have been a different story for sure!!! I now have too much to live for and not enough life left to waste away. I'm a little fella, so small dog syndrome. And especially back in the day I didn't care, cuz if I got beat up worse, then the big guy was a jerk for beating on a little guy, but if I got the better of them, and I usually did ...I'm the friggin hero!!! Lol

I made it known I was leaving for almost $7hr raise, more hours, pension and better benefits. Was a not so subtle jab. Lol

When I texted woman I was on my way home, all I got was a "k" response.....see how that ends up later today when she gets home!!! Lol

And ya...the job I'm going to is 10min away from my parents (stay there when I work in the city) should pull a few years out of it. It's a new hydrogen plant. And the person who got me hired on says a few of my ex employees ( I was their Foreman or General Foreman on other projects) are there as well, so should be fun. And hopefully get a supervisor position out of it(even more $$$) because they are just getting started.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya....I'm closer to 50 than 40....if this would have been about 10yrs ago, would have been a different story for sure!!! I now have too much to live for and not enough life left to waste away. I'm a little fella, so small dog syndrome. And especially back in the day I didn't care, cuz if I got beat up worse, then the big guy was a jerk for beating on a little guy, but if I got the better of them, and I usually did ...I'm the friggin hero!!! Lol

I made it known I was leaving for almost $7hr raise, more hours, pension and better benefits. Was a not so subtle jab. Lol

When I texted woman I was on my way home, all I got was a "k" response.....see how that ends up later today when she gets home!!! Lol

And ya...the job I'm going to is 10min away from my parents (stay there when I work in the city) should pull a few years out of it. It's a new hydrogen plant. And the person who got me hired on says a few of my ex employees ( I was their Foreman or General Foreman on other projects) are there as well, so should be fun. And hopefully get a supervisor position out of it(even more $$$) because they are just getting started.
Excellent!

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Guys like that are showing all of their personal insecurities. They have been promoted above their abilities and have to put everyone else down to feel like they are on top of it when everyone else can see they are not. A foreman that knows his stuff will encourage and support his guys to improve themselves to build a good crew that works well together. I used to get great satisfaction from taking on young guys with hidden potential, but nobody would give them the encouragement, and show them what they can achieve with a bit of guidance. Some of those guys are now either foremen themselves or in some cases running their own businesses.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Guys like that are showing all of their personal insecurities. They have been promoted above their abilities and have to put everyone else down to feel like they are on top of it when everyone else can see they are not. A foreman that knows his stuff will encourage and support his guys to improve themselves to build a good crew that works well together. I used to get great satisfaction from taking on young guys with hidden potential, but nobody would give them the encouragement, and show them what they can achieve with a bit of guidance. Some of those guys are now either foremen themselves or in some cases running their own businesses.
1000% agree!!!! He was an his mid 30s and had been there for years. I'm not sure if or what the foreman told him about me, but he was definitely threatened by me for sure.
I've been doing this for a quarter century (owch! That hurts writing it that way), spent most of the last 10 years as a supervisor for the biggest contractor in Canada. Been a big boss on multiple megaprojects, so I definitely have my **** together.
And I have definitely promoted the best guys (and 1 girl) off my crews into supervisor positions so they could continue their career growth. And anytime I see a journeyman treat an apprentice like crap or didn't wanna teach them, I pulled them aside. Gave them a speal about how someone took the time to teach you, now it's your turn to pass on your knowledge. Both in carpentry and scaffolding.
As I've grown older my tolerance for bullshit has taken a deep dive, but more importantly, my ability to walk away from toxic situations and people who are of little to no value to me has gone up. Sometimes it's literally not worth it.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1000% agree!!!! He was an his mid 30s and had been there for years. I'm not sure if or what the foreman told him about me, but he was definitely threatened by me for sure.
I've been doing this for a quarter century (owch! That hurts writing it that way), spent most of the last 10 years as a supervisor for the biggest contractor in Canada. Been a big boss on multiple megaprojects, so I definitely have my **** together.
And I have definitely promoted the best guys (and 1 girl) off my crews into supervisor positions so they could continue their career growth. And anytime I see a journeyman treat an apprentice like crap or didn't wanna teach them, I pulled them aside. Gave them a speal about how someone took the time to teach you, now it's your turn to pass on your knowledge. Both in carpentry and scaffolding.
As I've grown older my tolerance for bullshit has taken a deep dive, but more importantly, my ability to walk away from toxic situations and people who are of little to no value to me has gone up. Sometimes it's literally not worth it.
That is a very relevant point, we spent years learning our trade and honing our skills under the guidance of the last generation, we have an obligation to do the same for the next generation. I am mostly self taught because almost no one thought that I was worth their time as I have Tourettes Syndrome and peoples first impression is that I am disabled. They couldn't have been more incorrect, so when I see others being over looked because of a first impression I would take the time to let them know they have the potential to be very good at what they are doing and I would mentor them until they had the confidence to be their best. Unsurprisingly, my reputation for my work has spread far and wide and as a now self employed sheet metal fabricator I never have any problem getting work orders, even from customers I have never met before all through word of mouth. People who are genuinely good at what they do don't have egos, they don't need them.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hold my tongue, marvel at what a ****** life a guy like that must have, and figure out a way to avoid him. Good to hear that you kept your cool, vented to your wife - a much better choice than telling the guy what you thought of him, and left with your self-respect intact.
Yup. The best revenge is getting a better job while he's still stuck getting crappy pay.

Guys like that are showing all of their personal insecurities. They have been promoted above their abilities and have to put everyone else down to feel like they are on top of it when everyone else can see they are not.
Many years ago I had a co-worker who was incompetent, and he was always one screw-up away from getting fired. Whenever things died down from his last screw-up, he'd screw up again. When he was in trouble for screwing up, he'd always talk trash about everyone else and try to make us all look incompetent to try to "boost" his own image. He went so far as to sabotage my work while we were in a deployed environment. Dirty m**********. Ten years later and that still burns.

A foreman that knows his stuff will encourage and support his guys to improve themselves to build a good crew that works well together.
This. Everybody wants to "find" good people, and nobody has the patience any more to "build" good people. I always told my trainees, "When I retire and you take my position, how are you going to teach this to your trainees? Start thinking about it now."

Yup. When you have an @$$hat walking around talking $#!+ about you and you quietly walk away from him and perform better, your reputation grows. 99% of the time you won't hear about the word-of-mouth growing around you, but then one day somebody comes up to you and says, "Hey, I heard you're the guy to talk to about...." and you end up with a promotion or job offer.

Congratulations on the new job!