Double Din Install Tips Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PeteyG708

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
wish I'd have seen THIS thread prior to posting my question. Looks terrific.

What did you use to secure the usb plug in the opening under your head unit? Looks very nice. I'm hoping to install mine this weekend, and will post pictures upon completion.

Believe it or not, zip ties. I fed it inside the cubby hole after drilling the slots bigger and then drilled smaller holes on either side of the USB and Bass Boost knob. Then, I threaded a zip tie in one side and around the other, and zipped it tight to where the top rested flat on the cubby hole. I did it at the edge and right behind the USB end where it flattens out to the cable.

It is nice because it holds very well and you don’t have to fight with it to plug anything in. My iPhone USB cable works fine and even some SanDisk USB sticks fit without problems.

There is plenty of space behind the cubby hole, so I wrapped up the excess USB and laid it behind that.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Shebrolet

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
excellent. I did similar routing with my usb cable, and looped/zip tied it up behind the cubby. I'll try and upload a picture of it here in a moment. Still curious as to the best routing inside the cab for the camera cable.

your install looks great.

Shebrolet

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

PeteyG708

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nice job on that! It looks great! What model Pioneer?

The way I ran the camera cable and the reverse wire was under the truck. I wrapped it in wire loom protector and black tape all the way from the bumper to the cab. I went up on the drivers side under the Master Cylinder and into the cab there. There is a small spot to the right of the little connector panel under the dash, and I drilled a hole and grommeted it through there. Then ran it up under the support bar and up under the HVAC.

Running it in reverse of what I did here (starting inside the cab and pulling it through) is a heck of a lot eaiser.

The only thing I have is the heat. The heatsink behind my 1330NEX has a fan and I have moved all wires away from it. That thing can get very hot. Do you have any concerns about yours? I suppose I may be making mountains out of molehills, as the original Single DIN I bought and installed got just as hot at the heatsink.

Shebrolet

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought an AVH-3700 two years ago, just never got around to installing it until now. I really like how it turned out. Not the latest/greatest, but it serves me perfectly.

I have concerns about the heat, but no reason to really. I think there's plenty of room with the dash area I trimmed out. Hopefully that will remain to be the case.

I'm hoping to run my camera wire this weekend. Just need to figure out where to tie in the reverse wire. I THINK there's a backup fuse I can utilize in the interior fuse box.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I bought an AVH-3700 two years ago, just never got around to installing it until now. I really like how it turned out. Not the latest/greatest, but it serves me perfectly.

I have concerns about the heat, but no reason to really. I think there's plenty of room with the dash area I trimmed out. Hopefully that will remain to be the case.

I'm hoping to run my camera wire this weekend. Just need to figure out where to tie in the reverse wire. I THINK there's a backup fuse I can utilize in the interior fuse box.

The green wire is the reverse wire, this is your drivers side pillar.

purple-wire-splice-png.46446

PeteyG708

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for that. I have been running my NEX for a while now and it has gotten hot, but I have routed everything away from the heatsink, and so far it is great.

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wait I have been in ther enough times and I don’t remember ever seeing that reverse wire?
What does it power