Double DIN in 1999 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eric1998

Reaction score
I used the kit that Crutchfield issues for free. I think it turned out ok.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
I've been considering this kit too. It requires some chopping. Hopefully somebody can provide some insight, I think it's a relatively new kit. It's cheap enough really though. :)

If you go to metra's website you can look at the install manual.

Look here
http://www.gmt400.com/threads/88gmctrucks-98-silverado-towpig-build-black-fox.20243/page-114
Yup, that's mine.

I used the metra 95-3003G kit which is the cheaper kit, just the trim plate and side rails. It requires cutting some of the OEM bezel and installing the face trim over it. It's not too bad for the way it works, I was expecting it to fit worse TBH. Some stereos might also require some internal trimming in the dash, mine just fit without trimming though.

You must be registered for see images attach

mistaake

Reaction score
Well unfortunately for now I ended up with Single DIN - I'm about to sell my Envoy and I needed Bluetooth in the 99 Suburban faster than I wanted to wait to save up for the trim kit... so now I have some cheapy Kenwood Single DIN. For some reason only my front speakers work now but at least I can talk on the phone and drive now...

Still want to do Double DIN but that will probably have to wait until 2017. Besides, that way I can save up a bit more and get a nicer head unit than I planned to use.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Well unfortunately for now I ended up with Single DIN - I'm about to sell my Envoy and I needed Bluetooth in the 99 Suburban faster than I wanted to wait to save up for the trim kit... so now I have some cheapy Kenwood Single DIN. For some reason only my front speakers work now but at least I can talk on the phone and drive now...

Still want to do Double DIN but that will probably have to wait until 2017. Besides, that way I can save up a bit more and get a nicer head unit than I planned to use.
The trim kit (not the full bezel) is only about $15 on amazon........

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For some reason only my front speakers work now

Suburbans have a factory amplifier that powers the rear door speakers. Did you hook the remote wire of your new head unit up to the turn on lead for that? Been a while since I did mine, but I believe it's the blue wire in the harness that's labeled power antenna.

Without that hooked up only the front doors and the 4x10s in the rear roof will work.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score

Szil66

Reaction score
Yup, that's mine.

I used the metra 95-3003G kit which is the cheaper kit, just the trim plate and side rails. It requires cutting some of the OEM bezel and installing the face trim over it. It's not too bad for the way it works, I was expecting it to fit worse TBH. Some stereos might also require some internal trimming in the dash, mine just fit without trimming though.

So no need to move your heater controls? I have wanted to get a Double DIN stereo just never wanted to do the DetailSS way. Very interested in this! I think for $16 you cant really beat it!