Door panels with black backing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ray_z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been restoring my 98 Z71 for a while now. Thanks for the great information I've read on this site!

One thing I noticed is that the passenger side door panel is a lot more solid and durable compared to the driver side panel. The only difference that I can see is the passenger door panel has a black backing and the driver side does not. The driver side seems to be the normal pressboard/cardboard type backing. The passenger panel has a thick black rubber type backing. I don't know much about the history of the truck unfortunately.

My guess is that the passenger panel is off of a newer model and that GM switched to the black backing in the later years. Does anyone else have information about this?

white97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck has the black stamped steel and I have seen many in the junkyard with the black stamped steel I think your drivers side is wrong not the passenger side.

ray_z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
No. I'm talking about on the back of the actual door panel itself. It's the part that matches your interior. The back of that is what I'm talking about.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blue93swb