Dome Light Stays On

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

codyw20

Reaction score
I have a problem with my dome light staying on. I have read a few threads and its not the door switch itself but is related.

Details:
Dome light will not turn off. Although, sometimes it will. I finally found a common thing. The PO installed a Clifford keyless entry system. The remote no longer works, but there is a Clifford red light on the dash, presumably to indicate it is on. This light will sometimes go off and on, with no movement by me whatsoever. When it is off the dome light works correctly; going off when you push in the door switch. And the dimmer knob turns it on and off correctly. When the 'Clifford' light is on, is when the problem happens. When you push the door light switch in, the dome gets a tiny bit darker but stays on. So it is related to the wiring of the Clifford switch eh? Of course I simply have the fuse pulled out at this time. Any ideas on what the actual problem is?

On another note there is also a unhooked wire hanging down from under the dash. It looks to be spliced (not factory) into another wire, which I haven't been able to trace yet. This hanging wire also has a fuse in it, then a couple inches later an end that looks like it plugs into a relay. But it is just hanging. If I ground this wire I see nothing happen. Not sure if it is related but wanted to pass along in case anyone has heard of this wire. But mostly just concerned about the dome light not shutting off.

TIA everyone,

95SAS

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with the same alarm. Yesterday I took the dash apart to replace dash bulbs and moved the wires going to the door switch and it fell apart. Part of it popped out the front rest fell into dash. I was told by a few techs it's usually the door switch but to me they seemed to be ok. I'd try replacing them first.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok.... I HAVE to ask..... you don't say what year it is... do you have a interior light override button by your headlight switch... did you press it by accident and not realize it.. this happened at my work, customer and I got a good laugh...lol...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

codyw20

Reaction score
Update, I think it is resolved.

First: Doh, sorry about the year missing, can't do much without that.

Anyway it was indeed the alarm wiring. I finally got under the dash further and found the motion sensor part of the alarm. I unplugged this but the little indicator light on the dash stayed on and dome light still stayed on. I then found some fuses that were embedded into the wiring (not factory looking), a 15 and 20 amp. I unplugged the 20 amp and this took the power from the alarm motion module and the dash indicator light. AND BAMM, dome light works as it should now and the door locks work again.

Hopefully this is the source of my parasite battery drain as well. We will see.