Interior light proplems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackSierra

Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of restoring my truck. I'm to the part where the interior lights are next on my list. The problem I'm having is the dome and cargo lights refuse to turn on. however, the ashtray, glove box, and 4x4 lights all work properly. but the courtesy lights under the dash won't turn off. I've checked the grounds, the fuses, and replaced the door jamp switches. At this point I'm stumped. if anyone has any idea I'd appreciate it.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
For the dash courtesy lights - if you manually push both switches (need a helper obviously) do they turn off? Sagging door hinges, or missing "buttons" (the small plastic inserts in the door panel) can cause a gap that prevents the switch from being pushed far enough to break contact.

Dome and cargo lights - check the wiring along the door sill; that's the most common area for issues with this particular harness. Sometimes enough crud buildup under the plastic door sill plate is enough to damage it, other times a misplaced screw will get it.

Richard