Does This Look Right?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
Alright, so I've made my decision on the muffler I'm putting on the truck. Going with a 14" magnaflow, which is far shorter than my current muffler. Since I don't want to pay anyone to do this, I'm gonna make the switch out myself. I'm not gonna weld anything - all clamps ideally.

Here's my current system.

You must be registered for see images attach

For my new muffler, I'll need to add some extra pipe in to make up the difference of the shorter muffler. I'm thinking all I'll need is stainless steel piping in 3", which I'll order off of Summit when I order the muffler. I should also need one 3" clamp to clamp it to the end of the Y-pipe, then I should be able to reuse all the other existing clamps on the muffler. My friend has a pipe expander so we can flare out the ends of the new piping to make it fit around, then just clamp it in theory.

So my question: Am I missing anything before I place my order? Also, any words of caution/advice?

What I'm planning on ordering: 3" stainless piping, the muffler, and one 3 inch clamp. Is there something else I'm failing to realize?

Here's my plan for the new system.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get you some high temp exhaust sealant for your clamp joints and you should be fine. I believe I bought mine at O'Reilly, its a copper color.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if your drawing is what I think you have dual pipes after the cat flange? if so thats like my truck and i did a dual in dual out magnaflow and used band clamps
no leaks with these clamps

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
Get you some high temp exhaust sealant for your clamp joints and you should be fine. I believe I bought mine at O'Reilly, its a copper color.

I'll look into that, it'll save me from any exhaust leaks, but my current setup has clamps now for over a year without leaks. I guess it's better safe than sorry

if your drawing is what I think you have dual pipes after the cat flange? if so thats like my truck and i did a dual in dual out magnaflow and used band clamps
no leaks with these clamps

Yeah, it is two pipes after the flange but it goes into the one pipe real soon after. Just like I drew it, so ours is probably about the same.
Glad to hear it worked for you, I'll be running a single in dual out magnaflow.. Easiest and cheapest for me