Do y'all think the brand of motor oil really matters?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dubya

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i am sure this question has been asked before but i would really like to get y'alls opinion. i have always bought store brand motor oil O'reillys 5w-30 along with a mid priced filter for the truck. am i missing out on something?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have used the O'reilly oil before and to me it's really thin regardless of viscosity as compared to the regular oil that I use which is Castol GTX 10w-30, and I also alway's use a Wix 51060 on 2wd SBC's and BBC's.

dkennedy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure whose bottling O'reillys oil for them, but oil and filters are not the place to save a few bucks.

West Mi Mudder

OHHHH YEAHHHHH
Reaction score
Oil is oil. What it boils down to is the additives. A oreilys brand oil is not going to have the same additive as that of a Valvoline or Mobile 1. There are numerous scientific test done online that will show you there really is a difference between oils. If you want your engine to last, i would get a brand name.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
I've used Castrol GTX High Mileage for ever since I started driving it. Does it make a difference? Who knows. I think the only way to tell would be to run several engines on different oils at the same intensity for enough time to allow for wear, and then break them down and see which one held up better.

Devs93

OBS 4 EVA
Reaction score
I only use Castrol gtx in my vehicles with the exception of the dd i run mobil 5000 it is def not castrol but at 100 miles a day its effiecent.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
I've used Castrol GTX High Mileage for ever since I started driving it. Does it make a difference? Who knows. I think the only way to tell would be to run several engines on different oils at the same intensity for enough time to allow for wear, and then break them down and see which one held up better.

while this is a good idea i dont think it would show actual results as 2 engines next to eachother made from the same cast from birth running same RPM with same everything down to the drop of oil they would not fail at the same time . IMO yes as stated i think brands of oil slightly matter IMO i dont believe one will get you another 100k miles

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
I ran Castrol in my '02 religiously and put it in my '97 when I bought it. My 97 didn't like it at all. Burned over a quart in 3k. Switched to Mobil 1 and it doesn't even burn 1/2 quart now. IDK. I always run Wix filters though.

Sent from Jolly Green's Droid

DAGEN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I always run Mobil 1 in mine, since i bought and never had a problem. I also run the kn filter though from the review's i've read the Royal Purple is best. The way i see it spending more for each oil change is better than cheaping out and possibly replacing a motor.

chevyman0191

OBS till I die
Reaction score
Ive always ran castrol in mine and when my dad had the truck, got 260xxx miles out of the motor with it then still not burning oil. The new motor i kno had the o Riley oil in it because i know my mechanic used it when he installed the motor when i changed it it seemed to thin out quicker than castrol. After that I went right back to castrol since ive always had good luck with it.