Do TBI engines need/benifit from tune with exhaust upgrades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kn1ght

Banned
Reaction score
SMH, big time, straight pipes suck for anything other than noise, they are the worst setup for HP, TQ, and MPG. Intake is worthless on a TBI engine and is not night and day.

Boy, that's weird. When I did mine I got better mpg, and noticed a huge difference in power once I changed headers, and removed cat and muffler. But I suppose I'm lying. I do that about stupid **** that doesn't matter sometimes.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Boy, that's weird. When I did mine I got better mpg, and noticed a huge difference in power once I changed headers, and removed cat and muffler. But I suppose I'm lying. I do that about stupid **** that doesn't matter sometimes.

Well I am sure it was a difference from stock manifolds, pancake cat, and stock muffler, but if he is actually wanting the best performance and MPG then your setup is not it, just trying to keep info straight and give the best advice for what the OP wants.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
The biggest bottleneck on the tbi engines is the head....change them to iron/aluminum vortec heads and you're good to go.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats fine and great and all if you can find someone burn a chip that will make that swap worth it.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
CAI(Cold Air Intake) is the actual duct-work from the intake manifold to the outside air/filter. The actual intake manifold on the tbi engine itself is what sucks.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well if you aren't going to have a chip burned for it then there is no real use for getting a different intake manifold, I have only heard guys having issues when changing from stock, just smooth the ports on the stock one and clean it and call it good.

Z71Sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why not have a chip burned? Even with headers/intake and OBD I wouldn't any tune be better than no tune?

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am saying if you can not find anyone to burn you a chip then it is a waste, a chip is good though regardless, I love mine.