DIY traction bars.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I cant see how they attach to the axle but from what i can see i would be afraid to try and flex my truck at all if i had them

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most will attach under the u-bolt plate. They will limit the amount of flex you have but they help a lot with spring wrap. If you need a lot of flex don't bother with them. If you run a lot of sand or mud and you notice anytime you get on the gas and your rear end starts jumping you may want to give them a try.

With some fabrication skills they shouldn't be too hard to make, as long as you keep it simple. An inbetween approach would be to buy the bars that mount with shocks on the front of them, these allow a little more flex, but if you need these I doubt flex is of much concern.

airmanskee has/had them in his build thread.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Most will attach under the u-bolt plate. They will limit the amount of flex you have but they help a lot with spring wrap. If you need a lot of flex don't bother with them. If you run a lot of sand or mud and you notice anytime you get on the gas and your rear end starts jumping you may want to give them a try.

With some fabrication skills they shouldn't be too hard to make, as long as you keep it simple. An inbetween approach would be to buy the bars that mount with shocks on the front of them, these allow a little more flex, but if you need these I doubt flex is of much concern.

airmanskee has/had them in his build thread.

Skee was talking about taking them off if you have that big of a problem with axle wrap you have too big of a block in there imo

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Agree.

And last I saw a pic of skee's truck they were not on.

19-Silverado-98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't do trail riding. Truck sees mud during hunting season. Every time I am stopped and go to move there is a thunk. Started after the block. I only have a 2" block in it. U joints all been replaced. Rear end has been checked for play. Everything is fine. All I can think of is axle wrap. Flexing is not an issue. I am not a rock crawler or anything of that nature.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I don't do trail riding. Truck sees mud during hunting season. Every time I am stopped and go to move there is a thunk. Started after the block. I only have a 2" block in it. U joints all been replaced. Rear end has been checked for play. Everything is fine. All I can think of is axle wrap. Flexing is not an issue. I am not a rock crawler or anything of that nature.

A "thunk" isn't axle wrap.

Last edited:

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
I'd guess that's your slip yoke making noise. My 94 does it. If i grease it, it will stop for a while but it comes back. That's probably your issue.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A "thunk" isn't axle wrap.

No its not. Axle wrap is more violent than a thunk, axle wrap can be seen while watching your wheels spin and is only while under power. A thunk when you are initially taking off sounds like something else.
Brakes releasing?
U-joint worn?
Slip yoke?
Spare tire?