DIY Engine Cleaning - Help needed....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bamf93

Reaction score
What's up everybody? I haven't been on in awhile due to girlfriend...lol, she hates it whenever i read forums all day...anywho, does anyone know how to cleanup under the hood of a 93 1500?

Nuke

I go by the name Matt
Reaction score
I always just went to the local carwash and sprayed down good. This way they get the mess. Just avoid electronic parts as much as possible like the alt. I don't think using industrial, such as Simple Green and Power Purple, cleaners would hurt it.

bamf93

Reaction score
I always just went to the local carwash and sprayed down good. This way they get the mess. Just avoid electronic parts as much as possible like the alt. I don't think using industrial, such as Simple Green and Power Purple, cleaners would hurt it.

Well idk what not to spray...soo i think i'm just take it to get cleaned...don't wanna risk anything....i was just looking for a simple way to do it, so i wouldn't have to pay...

JohnC

Reaction score
The suggestion Nuke gave is as simple as it gets, and as cheap as it gets. Pretty much don't hose down the alternator, and stay away from the electrical connections. Other than that you should be good.

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your ok using simple green and spraying everything. Coin car wash is good you just dont want to use steam. Using steam is where you have issues getting moisture into connectors and such. Also on parts that have alot of dirt and grime spray some WD40 and let it sit over night before you presure wash

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
I Degrease the engine itself with Gunk engine cleaner. Everything else, I soak down with Purple power, Super clean, Fantastik...whatever. Then with the engine hot (running) I power wash everything.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Simple green and a rag. I dont like putting a hose or power washer on it, no reason to risk damaging it.

Bigg G

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I cleaned mines I soaked it down with Greased Lightning
hit the stubborn areas with a small brush
covered as much as the distributor as possible
removed the air cleaner and covered the throttle body
and any other electronics that I didn't want to get wet
hosed it down in the yard with a garden hose
that worked great for me.

jshawag12

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
yup spray some simple green or engine cleaner on it...let it set for a bit...go to the carwash and you can cover up the computer and dist with a trash bag or something and then hose off...then wehn you get back to the hosue get a rag and some WD-40 and wipe down everything and it will shine great....especially all the hoses