Diffs and gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrachtZ71

Reaction score
I have a 1990 z71, my rear end was regeared to 4.10s and a Detroit truetrac something or another, now my front end isn't linked up right now, but I want to make it 4wd again. Question is, will it be safe to just put 4.10s in or do I absolutely need to put a truetrac in the front or can I leave it open 4.10s?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Leave the front carrier alone unless you want to install an electronic or air operated switchable locker. If both front wheels are engaged at all times it will handle like garbage.

Install some 4.10s with the factory carrier and you're good to go.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Leave the front carrier alone unless you want to install an electronic or air operated switchable locker. If both front wheels are engaged at all times it will handle like garbage.

Install some 4.10s with the factory carrier and you're good to go.

What he said.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I didn't even know there was anything available for the 8.2 lol.

Me either I would like to know if there is cause I want one

Apparently nobody does. Did some bored Google surfing and it appears that the GMT400 IFS setup is just too weak to bother. ARB and Eaton have applications for the GM 9.25" setup from '03 and up H2s, but it looks like it would be easier to just SAS the truck than to retrofit one of those.