Differential situation....ooops.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hefftone

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Long story short.
Just got my truck, and just got it running. Bed off, test run.....Knew its a 3.42 and G80 equipped.....wanted to see what she'd do. Loaded up the toque converter a little and let her rip.

I ended up with the old one wheel peel. Instead of looking up how this unit functions, My dumbass decided to removed the diff cover and have a look see!

Well ****.....Now I've got some ( a little) outside grime on my inside parts (I know, should pressure washed it off first). Gasket is all tore up, and I can't tell how the hell I refill it, or with what!

G80 equipped
#1.) Can I clean off the inside with WD-40? Will that mess with the locker mechanism.
#2.) I know I gotta get a new gasket. Should I replace the cover with one with a drain? (2wd, with some towing) Which one or save the money and use the stock one
#3.) There is a hose coming off the axle/diff housing...it has a weird plastic cap on it. Is that where it gets filled? If so how does it open?
#4.) What gear oil would be best to refill..... Truck is 1990 with 280K miles....it probably had'nt been changed in 12 years.....if ever. I've read a bit about avoiding modifiers.... but I need to be on the straight and narrow on this one.

Is there anything else I should check while I've got this open?

Please help my dumbass out!!!!

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Clean the inside with brake cleaner
2. You can use rtv instead of a gasket if you want. I usually use a gasket since I dont keep rtv around. It always sets up in the tube on me. The covers with drains are nice but not totally necessary.
3. This hose is a vent, it will take forever to fill through that. On the passenger side of the axle (the center part where the gears are) you should see a plug with a square indention in it. A 3/8 extension will fit in there perfect. Remove that plug and fill the diff to the level of that plug. You will probably need two bottles of gear oil.
4. I'm not sure what oil you need with a G80, you could always call a dealership and ask about that one....

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
1. Clean the inside with brake cleaner
2. You can use rtv instead of a gasket if you want. I usually use a gasket since I dont keep rtv around. It always sets up in the tube on me. The covers with drains are nice but not totally necessary.
3. This hose is a vent, it will take forever to fill through that. On the passenger side of the axle (the center part where the gears are) you should see a plug with a square indention in it. A 3/8 extension will fit in there perfect. Remove that plug and fill the diff to the level of that plug. You will probably need two bottles of gear oil.
4. I'm not sure what oil you need with a G80, you could always call a dealership and ask about that one....
^this