did my 1999 CCSB C2500 w/ 5.7 4l80e come with a trans cooler inside the rad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nicklatech

cummins in a chevy
Reaction score
i burned my 4l80e by not putting a fan on my truck after I swapped in the 4bt. someone asked about my trans cooler inside the rad, but my truck doesnt have one. it only has the external and the lines look factory with the GM clips.

So i did a quick search online to see what the rads look like and I found this :

https://www.radiatorexpress.com/pro...mk5Q6fRbhQlCq1WzggtyLLS9gnKX_PTVa_xoC2U7w_wcB

Again, the lines from my transmission that go directly to the external radiator cooler look factory. I'm lost did this truck at one time have a trans cooler inside the radiator or only had the external cooler?

Thanks
Nick

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You may have a manual transmission radiator? Or manual truck conversion. My 99 2500 has trans cooler and engine cooler inside the radiator and an external cooler. All factory. Transmission cooler was on the passenger side.
Of the opinion that GM auto trans needed the radiator for faster warmup in winter .
Doubt that lack of a fan killed your transmission. More likely the 4bt hammered it apart. A high mileage gas 4l80 might not take kindly to a 4bt? 4bt is small HP, but has big power pulses.
Was the 4bt originally from a Chevy Truck?
Converter correct for a diesel...and 4l80e? Was the engine and transmission originally mated? Unsure of late 4bt, but most of them I've seem ran TH400s in GM chassis...step van chassis.
What are you using for a shift controller? That could be part of your problem.
You'll want to lose the cooler and replace it. May be full of metal.

nicklatech

cummins in a chevy
Reaction score
You may have a manual transmission radiator? Or manual truck conversion. My 99 2500 has trans cooler and engine cooler inside the radiator and an external cooler. All factory. Transmission cooler was on the passenger side.
Of the opinion that GM auto trans needed the radiator for faster warmup in winter .
Doubt that lack of a fan killed your transmission. More likely the 4bt hammered it apart. A high mileage gas 4l80 might not take kindly to a 4bt? 4bt is small HP, but has big power pulses.
Was the 4bt originally from a Chevy Truck?
Converter correct for a diesel...and 4l80e? Was the engine and transmission originally mated? Unsure of late 4bt, but most of them I've seem ran TH400s in GM chassis...step van chassis.
What are you using for a shift controller? That could be part of your problem.
You'll want to lose the cooler and replace it. May be full of metal.

4bt came from a th400 bread truck. The new converter that I will install today is built specifically for a 4bt conversion by a company with 4bt tc experience. I have a gmpp controller which is really one of the best.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake rogers