Detailing photos/discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Isn't a quick detailer more for a fast wipe down 5 minutes before the show? Or is this something like a 'trouble shooter'?
I've never used it. (Which is something I may be saying a lot in thus thread!)

I'll just leave this here. Go crazy. www.autogeek.net It's a forum/store/educational source for everything detailing. Seriously, they have tons of videos on Youtube too. Anyways, Meguiar's #66 Quick Detailer is a mild cut polish made for use with a rotary buffer to get out minor imperfections.

Beautiful work! To intentionally steer this another direction... I have some completely neglected aluminum wheels that have just been sitting on the truck for 10+ years. Do you have any suggestions on how to bring them back to life?

A lot of people I know that have aluminum to polish love those little polishing balls that you put on the end of a drill. I can't really help as far as the kind of polish. I tend to use Brasso for any metal polishing I need to do, and it does a good job, but I haven't had to really revive anything that's too far gone. Once again, take a look at the link above and see what they have to say.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Kill try and answer the questions as best I can.

So if you just got a rotory I suggest you be very very careful because you can easily do more harm than good. I use #105 abd #205 or 3m perfect it rubbing compound and machine polish. You will want to pick up a good DA (dual action buffer) to finish with because you will make buffer trails using the rotory. I personally like wool pads when I compound. Clean then frequently, you can use a screwdriver.

So revive old paint I would use a DA with meguires correction compound. It does a great job removing oxidation and swirls. Go slow with the DA and do 3 passes on each panel or more until you get results your happy with.

For the wheels I would use wheel acid to clean them up and remove the oxidation.
Next I would use the mothers ball on my drill with any metal polish. Never dull works great also.

I am using my phone right now and its hard to reply properly I appolagize!

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
Any of you guys use an orbital polisher for detailing? I picked up one for a nice price a few months back and have yet to use it. 6 inch variable speed. What's the best pads to use with it?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
That's called a DA. It's has a random orbital motion, no forced rotation. I use mine all the time, it's a porter cable. There are generally cut, polish and finishing pads. I use meguires mirror glaze pads red is cut , yellow is polish and black is finish.

Rotory is forced rotation in on direction aka high speed buffer. Cuts way faster and takes experience to operate properly. If you ever get into wet sanding you will want one.

Flex offers a nice polisher which is a combo of DA and rotory, it's a And oscillating forced rotation which cuts faster but makes it harder to mess up. I used to use one all the time, but it's not got the durability for daily use IMO.

Hope that helps

Reaction score
I've pulled all plastic molding, and big Chevrolet badge off the tailgate. All the glue is gone but surrounding where the badges used to be is a dark "ring"

Is there any way to get this removed? Wet sand or polishing compound?

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone know a good chrome polish for my boss 338s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
I've pulled all plastic molding, and big Chevrolet badge off the tailgate. All the glue is gone but surrounding where the badges used to be is a dark "ring"

Is there any way to get this removed? Wet sand or polishing compound?

You must be registered for see images attach

is it smooth or etched? its always best to take the least aggressive way 1st. I would try some rubbing compound buy hand first. doesn't need to be fancy compound, some turtle wax compound will do the trick. if you don't get the results your looking for try rubbing compound with a polisher and if that doesn't work then go to 3000 grit sand paper. be careful of the curved area because the paint is thinner there and easier to burn.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Anyone know a good chrome polish for my boss 338s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
compound works well for rims also, I like mothers chrome polish, but its all preference really when it comes to chrome polish. the mothers ball on a drill is a nice tool to have.

Reaction score
is it smooth or etched? its always best to take the least aggressive way 1st. I would try some rubbing compound buy hand first. doesn't need to be fancy compound, some turtle wax compound will do the trick. if you don't get the results your looking for try rubbing compound with a polisher and if that doesn't work then go to 3000 grit sand paper. be careful of the curved area because the paint is thinner there and easier to burn.

It's smooth. It almost appears to have stained the clear if that's possible...it has me concerned that it won't come out.

I have some turtle wax rubbing compound. Its about the color of a red brick, hopefully its not too aggressive.

I'll approach it cautiously as you recommend. At a distance its hardly noticeable to others but drives me nuts. If it won't buff out I guess it is what it is.

Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
@SkyHighColorado-

Thanks for the help. A little elbow grease and she's looking much better.

The compound I had felt way to aggressive when rubbed between my fingers so I got the turtle wax you suggested. Worked great!!