DC5000 Compressor Wiring Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
This isn't for a bagged suspensions... But for my air horns. I've installed God knows how many Firestone kits and even used one of the Ride-Rite compressors for years, but they didn't draw that much and were cake to hook up.
This is my old Firestone 9210 compressor mounted beneath my old truck... Worked great for years. Wish there was a rebuild kit available for it.
You must be registered for see images attach

Around the time the seals in it started to go bad - a buddy of mine that owns a storage unit facility was going through a repo'd unit and found this DC5000 like the one in the picture below. Looked brand new, I gave him $20 for it. I'm wanting to upgrade to 1/2" line, slightly bigger tank and horns - so I figured this thing would be perfect.

Now that I've moved everything from my old truck to my Yukon, I'm looking to wire this thing up. The last time I had everything hooked up was with my old Firestone compressor. I just had it beneath my jack cover in my truck running off of a relay that came from the + side of my amp and used the remote wire for a ignition source to turn it on through a relay. I realize that this thing is going to obviously pull more than my old compressor, so I want to make sure I have this thing wired up right.
It will be beneath my back seat next to my amp - but I really don't think it would be a good idea to run it off the same battery cable as my amp, right?
I found this diagram online and am thinking about wiring it just like this - with the exception of it going to a single compressor. I found the Stinger 80a relay on eBay for about $18, and I figure I can piece everything else together (unless there's an entire kit I can buy somewhere).

I also found a much cheaper kit - obviously not nearly as substantial as the other one... But would this handle it? Definitely looking to not spend a ton, but I'm willing to spend money where I need to so that this thing is reliable and safe.
http://www.avsontheweb.com/product.php?productid=563&cat=571&page=1

Right now IIRC I'm only running like a 35-40psi pressure switch - which shouldn't be nothing for this thing. Until I get a larger tank I'm only running a 3gal pancake tank. My old compressor took at least a couple of minutes to fill it - I hooked this one up temporarily to play with it and I'm amazed how fast it fills it up.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The stinger relay works awesome. Run a power wire from battery to the stinger, I'd put a fuse in that wire. The big spade sterio/amp kit fuse ones work great cause you can mount them and you can get the big fuses from any parts store cheap... And of course from Stinger a power wire to compressor. If you use a pressure switch on your tank, just run a low power wire that's on only when key is turned, via your fuse box or however (some put a toggle switch in this line as a backup fail safe incase pressure switch gets stuck to on).. but to the pressure switch and then a wire from other prong of pressure switch to the Stinger. Pick a pressure switch that opperates the psi range you desire.
I also added a self resetting fuse between my stinger and compressor just to prevent an overheating and also helps the main power wires fuse from blowing because of heat from power draw.. all in all however you wanna wire it, should work the way you had it before. I'd say a seprate line than your amps power wire tho for sure, but the Stinger is the way to go.. I learned about using the Stinger after I'd been thru about nine relays..Lmao, never had a problem since I've installed it :)

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
Thanks I appreciate it!

There's a breaker mounted on the compressor itself... I already ordered a stereo/amp fuse holder also and I'm about to order the stinger.
I also ordered one of these.. Right now I have a ring terminal to the side post on my battery for my amp... I want everything to be clean so I figured this would be a good route.

One thing I'm having trouble finding is a check valve... I've ordered solenoids and a few other things from Thorbros.com, but damn they are proud of the check valves. Gonna have to do some shopping around today and find one.

I guess what I'm mainly having a hard time deciding on is what gauge wire to use... I read that people often run 4 gauge, but from what I understand the DC5000 draws about 17amps (I'm sure this increases on startup) so I should be fine running 10 gauge or so I would think.

Hopefully I'll have all of it together by next weekend. I'm ready to have my horns again. So far I just have dual grovers and 1 Freightliner horn. Not quite train horns, but still pretty insane. I won't be happy until I have train horns, though. :)