Dash mounted USB + AUX ports

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

No'IL97

Reaction score
I decided on an aftermarket head unit that has rear USB and AUX ports. I think it looks cleaner than having holes in the front of your HU and cords hanging everywhere. I originally had this head unit (kenwood KDC-X692) in my 2000 wrangler and having the USB/AUX run to the glove box was fine since the glove box was so close in the jeep. However that was not the case in my "new" truck and i soon got sick of crawling across the cab to plug in my ipod. I decided to mount both cables to the dash. Here are a few pics of what the finished product looks like. Im not sure how many will be interested since i know there arnt many single DIN HU with rear USB/AUX inputs, but if there are ppl interested ill post exactly what i did and include more pics. And if someones already posted this.... Oh Well. Sorry for the bad pics, i can get better ones if anyone wants them.

You must be registered for see images attach

EDIT:

Since iv got great replies from you guys ill post a quick write-up.

First off you need an aftermarket head unit that has rear USB + AUX ports (or one of them) you can also do this to the added AUX input to the stock OBS radio that capricefrk013 wrote about.

I purchased these two kits off amazon,

http://www.amazon.com/PAC-Cable-Wit...6HRO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334628944&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/PAC-IS335-3-5...HS/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1334628926&sr=8-15

Im sure there are other similar kits out there but these are the two that i picked and the only complaint i had about them was that i had to find a way to hide 12 feet of extra cable behind my dash (6 feet for each kit) but this allows you to place the plugs almost anywhere in your truck, so it allows for a lot of customization. *note* i dont have the center console in my truck but if i did i think i would have chosen to mount the USB plug there.

To save myself from retyping the same steps twice, im only going to describe how i mounted the USB port as its almost the exact same procedure to mount the AUX port.

After removing the dash i removed the plastic piece that houses the overhead switch and the airbag on/off switch, once removed i drew a diagonal line from corner creating an X and the middle of the X is where i stared drilling.

after drilling a small pilot hole i used a step drill and slowly made the hole larger until i got the correct fit. The PAC USB mount that i used had two "wings" on the sides that are suppose to stop the port from rotating but they require you to cut two notches in the side of your drilled hole. I dont have an efficient way of cutting these notches (AKA i dont own a dremmel) so i just took a razor blade and cut the wings off so it fit perfectly into the hole i drilled.

Once i got the fit i was happy with i inserted the port and after making sure it was vertical i loaded the back with super glue to make sure that when i pulled out my USB drive the whole mount didnt follow. *note* after getting super glue ALL over my hands i decided to use a hot glue gun to secure the AUX port. This worked much better.

after this i replaced all the switches and coiled up the wire and secured it with a zip-tie. Then all that remains is attaching it to your head unit and coaxing it all into the dash.

Rinse and Repeat!

Attachments

• Tuck285.jpg
    Tuck285.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks great, an yes please on the more details.

The only bad part is none of those spots are blank in my truck except one I think...

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thats a sweet idea man! i like it. my radio has em both front and rear so i just ran the ipod chord into the stoarge bin under the ac controls and plug it in tehre.

achevyman1956

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
my current sony doesnt have usb, thought about upgrading decks, but would like to see how you did this

No'IL97

Reaction score
Thanks guys, its good to hear others like it is well. I have a research project to finish here really fast but as soon as thats finished ill post a quick write up.

Now its time to start upgrading the rest of the sound system...