Dash cam question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So I'm considering installing a dash cam in my 96 Silverado and I notice they power off of a 12v USB via cigarette lighter port. My concern is that unlike my other car my trucks ports are always powered and don't come on with ignition, these things seem to be designed to turn on when you start the vehicle otherwise wouldn't it just constantly be recording? Thusly overwriting older footage I may need? Also interested to see how others may have routed said USB cable to look fairly clean. Thanks in advance for any insight into this "problem"

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it were me
I’d run my own power off a relay

Power supplied from the AUX post at the power distribution center

Ignition from any number of wires under the dash

Give it a good ground

and feed it through the driver A pillar and then up through the headliner pop it down by the mirror

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used one of those piggyback fuse things and a cheap cigarette lighter port for my dashcam. I ran the dashcam wire down the passengers side a pillar and secured the power port on top of what must be some sort of hvac box. There's a ton of space back there if you drop the glovebox down.
Put the piggyback fuse thing in the interior fuse panel and ran the power wire across the bottom of the dash to the passenger's side. Grounded it wherever it was convenient.

draginlow

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mine is powered all the time and has a motion sensor in it. it times out after 2 mins of seeing no movement like when parked. but if someone walks by or a car backs into you when its parked it turns kicks on. most have this build in. plus mine is on a loop so after 40 ish hrs it starts to record over the oldest stuff. it was just a cheap amazon one.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
mine is powered all the time and has a motion sensor in it. it times out after 2 mins of seeing no movement like when parked. but if someone walks by or a car backs into you when its parked it turns kicks on. most have this build in. plus mine is on a loop so after 40 ish hrs it starts to record over the oldest stuff. it was just a cheap amazon one.
That's badass, I've never heard of anyone doing something like that but it makes sense, especially in parking lots like Costco an walmart where there's always somebody hitting a car

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
I added a extra power outlet under the lower part of my dash by the air conditioner duct on my 1993 GMC truck I just tapped into a power wire I found with a test light I did put a inline fuse just to be safe.

I needed it to run my radar detector and my power socket has a usb outlet on it but you can pick up a power socket with usb outlets at any auto parts.

Last edited:

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is how I would go. Very good idea